• Welcome to PlumbersForums.net - The international plumbing advice forum. Professional plumbers sharing advice with fellow plumbers and DIY alike. Register for free today!

Discuss Boiler wont ignite after power off in the Central Heating Forum area at PlumbersForums.net

gavc

Reaction score
I replaced a couple of TRVs earlier, and prior to starting I powered off the boiler (a Main Heat 15). Boiler is 7 months old, and never been isolated from the mains before today.

Once all the rads were bled, went to power on the boiler and now the pilot won't ignite. And the reset button doesn't do anything.

As a total novice I'm not intending messing with anything, but does anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks

Brambles

Reaction score
Do you have the same issue for Hot Water and Central Heating? Or is Hot Water only ok? If it is both not functioning:

Is this operating on a sealed system?

If so:

Check that you have properly repressurised the system - it needs to at least 0.5bar

Check that you have power to the boiler.

Follow the reset procedure ( it is very simple) set out in the users manual - but you need to follow the precise process to ensure that the boiler has reset.

If it is only not operating on heating:

The motorised valve (s) would be my first point if call to find the fault.

Thereafter, if no success you need a Gas Safe Engineer to look at it

OP
G

gavc

Reaction score
Hot water seems OK, that seems to be the only the pipe that gets hot. Though I can't see the pilot light, so that's confused me..!

Yeah, it's pressurised OK, I took it up to 1bar.

Craig Watson

Plumber
GSR
Reaction score
Hot water seems OK, that seems to be the only the pipe that gets hot. Though I can't see the pilot light, so that's confused me..!

Yeah, it's pressurised OK, I took it up to 1bar.
It doesn't have a pilot light.

OP
G

gavc

Reaction score
Think maybe I surpassed myself managing to replace the TRVs without flooding the house! Need to call in the experts to get it up and running in that case..

gmartine

GSR
Reaction score
The heating wont come on if the thermostat isn't set high enough.

Set it on 25C and see if it fires up.

OP
G

gavc

Reaction score
Did try, but I'll give that another shot..

OP
G

gavc

Reaction score
The pumps actually a lot noisier than before, and it's getting hot (the pump) after 5 or so minutes.. But the rads aren't..

Craig Watson

Plumber
GSR
Reaction score
Sounds like an airlock. Have you bled the pump or any airvents on the system? Have you bled the rads?

OP
G

gavc

Reaction score
I bled all the rads. Didn't know I could bleed the pump tbh..? Or anything else.

Now's when I wish I'd left it alone.. Obviously don't know enough about the system, and thought I'd be clever and replace the rad valves. :(

So.. I just bled the pump. No air in that.

Last edited:
OP
G

gavc

Reaction score
Just popped out for an hour will upload pic later. Cheers fellas.

Forum Sponsors

Corgi - Plumbing Supplies for Professional Plumbers - Plumb Advice

Plumbase - Plumbing Parts for Plumbers - Plumbers Advice

Power Shower Booster for Power Showers - Plumbing Advice

Underflor Heating Systems by uHeat - Plumbing Advice

Wetroom Supplies by Wetroom Store

Nicobond - Wetroom and Tiling Supplies - Plumbers Installation Advice

Corgi - Plumbing Supplies for Professional Plumbers - Advice for Plumbers

Do you have a DAB radio for work?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.