Discuss Boiler MI's in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

gaspastemania

Over the past 12 months i'm getting more and more calls from custards regarding work on boiler faults , no heating /hot water etc etc . Usually i just stick to installs and due to recession im starting to do works on faulty appliances.
My problem is due to the fact my usual worload is installation based my breakdown experience is limited.Without the boiler MI's i usually stuggle to find fault so end up phoning friend to come and take a look .
My question is can you self train without boiler MI's if so how long till competent or is it a case of 'ANOTHER COURSE'???

get yourself on a few manufacturer's courses, youle learn alot on the reakdown side of things

speak to your local manufactuere reps, or give them a call, imho.

Yes you can, i made the same leap. It's hard at first, and you will make silly mistakes and miss the obvious, stand in front of a boiler with the customer behind you, and wish the ground would open up etc etc etc..... Competence comes when you learn to take a step back and work logically, never take anything for granted, and try to think outside the box. Best thing i ever did, i love the job, installing wore me down over the years :( especially the knees!

IMHO manufacturers courses are useful, but tend to concentrate on current models, which are the least likely boilers you will find yourself working on.
Honywell course is good for conventional systems, wiring problem solving etc.

CD's are readily available with all the MI's on for little outlay. As a last resort you can phone the relevent technical departments, and of course it helps if you can phone a friend!! or two;)

Iv'e found that there a large percentage of common faults, and a smaller number of uncommon, head scrathing type faults.:confused:

You also have to accept you can't win em all, and a small number of boilers/sytems will beat you.

Good luck if you do decide to take the plunge:D

if at first you dont succeed and its a ferroli, get it replaced:)

its the only one thats beaten me thus far and it was knackered.:D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Boiler MI's in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4...
Replies
Views
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock