Search the forum,

Discuss average cost of installation in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
although many plumbers do not like to discuss costs and quotes online, i would like to direct this to any oftec regd or equivalent installers. I am quoting on a job, to simplify, remove old boiler * fit new worcester camray system boiler with all ancillaries, inc TF1 filter, pipework etc, *140litre cylinder again with all related parts, immersion / stats etc * equivalent to 25 gallon header tank * 30 odd meters of copper pipe and various fittings. All electricals inc port valves, room stats, programmer, and electricians fee, then my labour fee and registration fees etc...... i live in lincolnshire to give a geographical wherea bouts. not specific itemised prices just a ball park figure. I only ask as i want to know if i under or over quote ???? its ok for people to say well what are you happy earning, but when others are under cutting me, i want to know how they can ??? as i dont feel i am greedy in my quotes. I have only been self employed for a few years so pricing is a very tricky area, any help would be gratefull, even if from others that have had a similar install

People will work for nowt at the moment mate, you can only price what you are happy to work for. A couple of years ago you could get £40 P/h now people working for a lot less than £20 in Lincs. Stick to your standards at dont drop prices. You may not get the job to start with but they may call you to put it right after they went for the cheapest quote. IMHO

I know how much an hour I need/want, to pay my bills, cover my costs and give me the standard of living I want and I estimate my jobs accordingly. I don't worry what other people are charging, let them get on, if I get a job, I get it, if not then I'm not particularly bothered. I know I'm not the cheapest or the most expensive, but I do know that I am one of the best, especially in terms of quality and value for money. I must be doing something right because I'm busy.

I was told when I started that I would be doing well to get 1 in 3 estimates. Well above that now.

Plus it's taken me about 5 years to become properly established.

For the good customers the price is only part of the estimate, they will form a general idea of wether they want you or not when you go to look at the job. There's too much 'dodgy tradesmen' talk out and about, so if you can go in and talk about what the customer wants and what you intend to deliver and the customer gets a good feel then you are half way there.

thanks all for the replies, yes i have seen people pricing on both ends of the scale, whenever i do a quote i always try and tell the customer of some of the littler parts or things that other plumbers / installers may not be including in their quotes. i have only had my business for around 1 1/2 years so still very early days and still getting my name out there. i think i have done well so far and managed to get some good servicing contracts. im sure as time goes by i shall become more in the know of pricing etc.

im sure as time goes by i shall become more in the know of pricing etc.

I find it's a dark art ...

One of the best I read was:

If they scream and shout at you the price was too high
If they're quiet or say "That's good value" it was too low
If their eyes water you've got it just right ...

No 2 installations will be the same. Basically like any other job, you need to break it down into parts and work out each one separately. Sometimes its beneficial to split up tasks on the quotation so the customer can see what they are getting for their money.

Example:

Decommission old boiler and system

Modifications to the existing system

Electrics, thermostat, probrammer, TRVs etc

Cut hole for flue

Fit boiler

Fit flue

Connect up pipework

Flush

Make good around boiler / flue etc

Commission

Building Control paperwork

thanks all for the replies, yes i have seen people pricing on both ends of the scale, whenever i do a quote i always try and tell the customer of some of the littler parts or things that other plumbers / installers may not be including in their quotes. i have only had my business for around 1 1/2 years so still very early days and still getting my name out there. i think i have done well so far and managed to get some good servicing contracts. im sure as time goes by i shall become more in the know of pricing etc.

An old rule is never discuss your competitiors quote, standard of work or materials they use or leave out, if you start down that road you are using valuable time the customer has given you to explain what your standard of work is and the materials you are proposing.

Take a look at the list Whipes started, you don't have to go into a crazy amount of detail or show the size of every radiator just acknowledge you are fitting them, for example:

What Whipes said +

Supply and fit new radiators to hall, sitting room, three bedrooms, kitchen and towel rail in the bathroom C/W TRV's as discussed.

New boiler, Make model

Expansion vessel, etc, etc

You include the little details, typed up, easy to read in the order that you will carrying out the work, that makes it easier to for you to include everything and easier for the customer to follow.

When starting out I used a neat folder with the quote inside, sometimes I would include manufacturers brochures, the reason was my quote was not another envelope the customer could easily lose or get mixed up with their electricity bill, it also looked professional.

You can also find using that method you are charging for every detail, leave out a zone valve and you are down the cost, if you include it in your specification you will not be inclined to miss it when making up your quote.

When possible hand deliver your quote, that way you can go through it with the customer, always remember to thank them for the opportunity to quote and tell them you don't use pressure sales tactics to take their time to go over your quote and feel free to call you if they need anything clarified.

A hand shake can leave the door open to recommendations to others if they go with someone else who they feel didn't deliver everything you were proposing.

My advice is don't start to leave out the smaller details or use cheaper materials, that is what seperates the professional who is building a business from the one hit wonder.

Best of luck.

Problem is time taken, Assume that the cheapest plumber will be on £100 per day and the most expensive plumber is on £300 a day.

Now the Plumber who is on £300 a day takes 3 days to complete the above job

The Plumber who is on £100 a day takes 10 days to complete the above job.

You are then better off paying the plumber who takes 3 days.

Maybe if people could give an estimate of the time they reacon it would take them.

Personally, I don't like pointing out deficiences in other tradesmans quotes. I think this comes across as 'they're rubbish quotes, look at mine'

I emphasize what my quote entails:

I will include in the quote ........... you'll find that there are cheaper versions on the market but this model is considered the best at the moment.

There are no hidden extras, incl is ........., ...... etc. If you'd like to consider a different boiler/bath/basin please let me know.

As a side note and in the customers house I always explain that when looking and comparing quotes ensure that you are comparing like for like.

Normally the customer says 'oh, I never thought of that, I just look at the price'

I never mention anything,

In my opinion the quote is based on 2 things,

1. Price
2. First Impressions

Most people will make their mind up before you have even left the house.

I had about 6 bathroom installs last year, this year I have had about 5 quotes and not 1 has even got back to me.

Why? I don't really care its their business not mine. Otherwise you start panicking about every little thing.

If somebody else is willing to do the same work for a lower price then let them do it. However I usually only charge for a set time. Never charge for snagging, extra time taken i.e. other people would turn around and say that it is extra because they had a problem i.e. But I know the price i charge is all inclusive. Unless they want something else not mentioned before then The price is exactly what i quote.

I never mention anything,

In my opinion the quote is based on 2 things,

1. Price
2. First Impressions

Most people will make their mind up before you have even left the house.

I had about 6 bathroom installs last year, this year I have had about 5 quotes and not 1 has even got back to me.

Why? I don't really care its their business not mine. Otherwise you start panicking about every little thing.

But I know the price i charge is all inclusive. Unless they want something else not mentioned before then The price is exactly what i quote.

Hi jase,

Maybe if you tell those who make the enquiries in writing exactly what your policies are regarding extras they may feel more confident about buying your services?

"Why? I don't really care its their business not mine."

I beg to differ, it is your business because without caring you won't have a business in a very short time, my question is why bother quoting at all if you don't want the work and of course the money it brings, as I see it you are wasting your time and money quoting at all.

I am semi retired and tend to only quote jobs I am interested in doing doesn't matter if its a big job or a minoir service call, I can afford to that because I also import and sell products, also my family are now grown up adults with their own careers.

My understanding of the original question is it comes from someone who is in the early stages of building a business, if I answered with my present policy I would not be of any service to him or others who may read this post.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to average cost of installation in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi all I'm hoping someone can shine a light on this for me Since our stop tap on the pavement has now been filled with sand for whatever reason, we are relying on our property fitted stopcock (this is outside on our garage wall) Unfortunately turning this to the closed position only reduces...
Replies
Views
Hi, basic question, any insight much appreciated. Looking to have an outdoor tap in my front porch fed from 15mm pex coming up from suspended floor. Pic 1 is inside porch, pex temporarily clipped to give an idea of pipe placement (ignore shoddy blockwork of booted cowboy builder!), Pic 2 is...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock