Discuss ASHP or MAINS GAS? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
S

Steve Williams

Hi and thanks for reading my query

I am renovating an terraced Edwardian house which will be well insulated. The gas boiler is old and the entire Central Heating system is a mix of ugly rads, normal piping and microbore, in short it needs replacing.
I will be fitting UFH regardless of the ASHP/Gas question as I prefer it and the floor boards need lifting and insulation installed anyway.
We have a mains gas supply.
Is an Air Source Heat Pump a better choice than gas?

Steve

Shows how much you know! You don't need buffers or llh on most systems! I've fortunately got a few units that have over 12 months worth of running costs and they're all smashing the oil running costs! Mine at home is actually running my 4 bed detached 1970s house cheaper than I ran my old 1995 3 bed semi on natural gas, afraid you can't argue with figures.

Also never sold a car in my life, left school at 16 and did 5 year apprentice inc city and guilds, shame not many bother nowadays. Just like the story I've heard of a biomass quote on a 3 bed insulated semi detached 21kw! More like 6-10kw max. The sharks will be swimming now the rhi is out. Also turned down 2 ashp vs gas this week as it just wouldn't pay. Got one as they want one full stop and have pv so each to their own I suppose.

Shows how much you know! You don't need buffers or llh on most systems! I've fortunately got a few units that have over 12 months worth of running costs and they're all smashing the oil running costs! Mine at home is actually running my 4 bed detached 1970s house cheaper than I ran my old 1995 3 bed semi on natural gas, afraid you can't argue with figures.
Me to! 4bed 1960's house on ASHP Total utility bill cheaper than total N gas and electric bill on previous smaller 4 bed 1990's timber framed house. Figures speak for them self. I was at first very sceptical about ASHP, but I can't knock it having lived with it for two years.

But any figures you chaps are giving are for the running costs of installations of ASHPs. You don't know the running cost of the same property with a HE modulating gas boiler, or a correctly installed system with a ASHP - including a buffer tank.

There's no way a ASHP, even an inverting CO2 one, would touch a Nat Gas modulating boiler. Blue Flame Rules!! Get over it Greenwashers & tree huggers!!
LOL!!

But any figures you chaps are giving are for the running costs of installations of ASHPs. You don't know the running cost of the same property with a HE modulating gas boiler, or a correctly installed system with a ASHP - including a buffer tank.

There's no way a ASHP, even an inverting CO2 one, would touch a Nat Gas modulating boiler. Blue Flame Rules!! Get over it Greenwashers & tree huggers!!
LOL!!
Only know that my last house had full NAT gas HE system boiler with all controls including separate zones for upstairs/downstairs, optimiser the lot and my utility bills are now cheaper in a larger property with less insulation factors with an ASHP. I do admit that they are less convenient to use than a gas boiler, but I am pleasantly surprised by its efficiency, My only other option is OIL or LPG, so happy days for the ASHP.

Will you still be singing the praises of your ASHP when it hit -14degC next Winter Reg old son?? When your HP has a COP of -3 & your gaffe is freezing cold?
Come back & bum your load then.

Also never sold a car in my life, left school at 16 and did 5 year apprentice inc city and guilds, shame not many bother nowadays. Just like the story I've heard of a biomass quote on a 3 bed insulated semi detached 21kw! More like 6-10kw max. The sharks will be swimming now the rhi is out. Also turned down 2 ashp vs gas this week as it just wouldn't pay. Got one as they want one full stop and have pv so each to their own I suppose.
I'm pleased to hear it mate in every regard.

Can't give you figures for the cold weeks but total electric for the year £1,400. Thinking of investing in some PV panels, think I can get about 20 panels on the south elevation of my roof, also have a wood burner and unlimited supply of logs in my woods.

Can't give you figures for the cold weeks but total electric for the year £1,400. Thinking of investing in some PV panels, think I can get about 20 panels on the south elevation of my roof, also have a wood burner and unlimited supply of logs in my woods.

Only put mine in in mid march but as I said I'm logging daily so have accurate data for 3 weeks of snow and following month of very cold weather, 3 weeks with snow cost £76 April was £74, may £39, June £15.97 so far this month £4.43 If anyone goes to my Facebook page I keep updated graphs posted on there, Id expect a cost of £3-4 per day in severe cold weather from what I've seen. And I'm on course for bettering running cost than I did in last house which was newer, smaller and on ng

are you trying to tell me that gas boilers are totally silent if so why does my old worcester combi wake me up at night when the pump kicks in for no reason, at least with a heat pump they are outside and the noise is barely audible even when standing next to them

you should know .....you are a plumber :)lol

I would like to tank all for your input here its been interesting to read .... please give more information about a ASHP as what is so much to know about there installation ? I have never worked on one just been to a property where Mick aka "unguided" (was a member here ) worked and he showed me the installation and we had a cup of coffee and a good 3h of chat about them ! Did not see any rocket science there tbh .....
I just would love to receive more info about ASHP , and if you have one installed somewhere or you are in progress doing it I would love to come along and take part of the install (for free) ! I am to book my self with WB for there 3 days training for the ASHP but would love to see it in action before I go there

Good postes there Dickies

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to ASHP or MAINS GAS? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock