Discuss Armed forces resettlement in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Dazg44

Need some advice looking to do a 15 week intensive gas engineer course for my military resettlement.
I have read alot of bad expereinces in the past with trying to get employed after due to the only experience being on the portfolio phase of the course and most companys wanting alot more.
Has anyone had a experience with this or people that have completed these type of courses?

will give you an insight, but wont get you a job most of the time.

My brother in law, came out of the army a few years ago, did the course etc, but he then hit the brickwall of needing work experience. TBH he struggled, he rang every plumber in the area, rang the numbers on the side of vans , he did try hard , and eventually got lucky and a local guy took him on.

I suppose its when a lot of patience is needed, but mostly luck........ Good luck to you

( he lasted about 2 years and now works at tescos, he like many thought this job was a piece of pi@@ )

i left the army and did an intense gas course. I spent over a year trying to get a job after. I sent off hundreds of C.V's and went to 50 + interviews. I got the same reply off everyone, not enough experience. I offered a big cut in pay, day to day trials I even offered to work a month for free just to prove I could do it but still no interest. ive finally fell lucky 2 weeks ago and managed to find a company willing to give me a try, at a big pay cut though!
there's plenty of careers you can choose on resettlement. if you expect to pass your exams and walk into a job I would try to avoid gas, unless you fall lucky. if you are willing to put in the efford and struggle for a bit go for it as it will be worth it in the long run.

lee

15 week course! That's frightening. What about the wet side?

i left the army and did an intense gas course. I spent over a year trying to get a job after. I sent off hundreds of C.V's and went to 50 + interviews. I got the same reply off everyone, not enough experience. I offered a big cut in pay, day to day trials I even offered to work a month for free just to prove I could do it but still no interest. ive finally fell lucky 2 weeks ago and managed to find a company willing to give me a try, at a big pay cut though!
there's plenty of careers you can choose on resettlement. if you expect to pass your exams and walk into a job I would try to avoid gas, unless you fall lucky. if you are willing to put in the efford and struggle for a bit go for it as it will be worth it in the long run.

lee

I know an industry experienced gas engineers accepting ÂŁ25000 PA on new build sites and some of them work their nads off. But well done for sticking it out

I know a young un, ex forces, recently done the 15 week with KIER Newcastle and work placement in Harlow? he was taken on immediately after passing his ACS, he had no previous experience but got on with the job and made an effort to learn as much as he could, he is now out on his own doing service and repairs.
So if you want it just do it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Armed forces resettlement in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi all. Hope you have all been keeping well. A while back I decided I only wanted to fit one brand of boiler and decided on Viessmann due to...
Replies
Views
The fittings below are for a mixer bar attached to a self contained shower. i.e not a wall. The attaching screws have snapped. I could get two new...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4...
Replies
Views
We run a community village hall and have a large kitchen provided for the use of hirers. This includes a Lincat SLR9 gas cooker which I believe is...
Replies
Views
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock