Search the forum,

Discuss an ideal icos he18 story in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.

moogwai

Plumbers Arms member
Plumber
Gas Engineer
well.....i went to an icos on yesterday which had blown the fuse on the pcb and it did it twice more on me so disconnected all the wiring to bar the the 2 x four pin harnesess's as instructed by ideal tec just to check to see if pcb was at fault...switched it back on again and boom!! so off i trundled to the merchants to get a replacement pcb,returned and fitted it...up and running...loverly jubberly..or so i thought.

had a call this morning and same problem occurred but this time it had tripped the fuse on the board as well.....not another pcb i thought!!! so i repeated the same test and the same thing happened pointing to faulty pcb, checked fan and gas valve for resistance whilst on phone to ideal tech and all was fine with the readings so went and exchanged pcb and fitted it....switched it on and the display lit with the right code for placement of pins followed by error code "eh"

back on the phone i got and got advised to check harnesses's for continuity where i found a problem with buzzer sounding when i tested the neutral by fan....and on red,black and blue wire by pcb.

obviously this is where the fault was....went to remove the harness and out of curiosity i took the fan out and lifted the lid on the heat exchanger to find the back flange on the combustion chamber where it creates a seal with the lid looked like it had melted away there fore melting the wires in the fan harness together!!!

needless to say a new boiler is going in....was a great learning experience for me and something to look out for when yer out and about and come across a similar fault on the same ****ty boiler!!

just thought i'd share that and wondered if anyone else has had the same problem??

whats happened is the ionization probes have failed/dropped out the insulation panel has fallen on the burner,the now blocked heat exchanger has diverted the flame towards the back of the exchanger melting the wiring its a common fault on this heap

this is where you need to do your electrical tests first resistance test would tell you something was wrong

Those Isar/Icos are just bags of poop. The PCB is so common to fail that changing it is probably the first thing most people do and is probably the most common fault n the boiler. I'd imagine that the situation you have come across is generally quite unusual. Were there any visual signs when you took the combustion chamber door off?

whats happened is the ionization probes have failed/dropped out the insulation panel has fallen on the burner,the now blocked heat exchanger has diverted the flame towards the back of the exchanger melting the wiring its a common fault on this heap

Looked exactly what happened.

Sent from my Desire HD using Tapatalk

this is where you need to do your electrical tests first resistance test would tell you something was wrong

To be honest I did test resistances first but I didn't check the harnesses's for continuity....and because it started straight away after first PCB change it didn't cross my mind.....you live and learn I guess.

Those Isar/Icos are just bags of poop. The PCB is so common to fail that changing it is probably the first thing most people do and is probably the most common fault n the boiler. I'd imagine that the situation you have come across is generally quite unusual. Were there any visual signs when you took the combustion chamber door off?

That's what got me.....there was no signs of scorching at all and was suprised when I took off the lid off.....even fluegas was fine when I checked that after first PCB change. Would've thought it would have shown something was up.

Iv been working on one tonight.Flue thermistor fault kept coming up,checked ohms on resistor was ok.Fault persisted so it pointed to a faulty board.Changed board and put all connector pins in right slots on new board then when turned the boiler on number 2 came up to signal links were ok but the boiler went to 0 and nothing happend!!Put the old board back on and it did the same????anybody?Please?

Iv been working on one tonight.Flue thermistor fault kept coming up,checked ohms on resistor was ok.Fault persisted so it pointed to a faulty board.Changed board and put all connector pins in right slots on new board then when turned the boiler on number 2 came up to signal links were ok but the boiler went to 0 and nothing happend!!Put the old board back on and it did the same????anybody?Please?
put your hand round the back of the heat exchanger,you will find the main loom is it cremated,have you checked continuity of the flue stat wiring?

Last edited by a moderator:
What sort of ohms should i be getting from the fan and pump? would 100/150 for both be a good sign ?

The moral of the story is replace not repair. It's a false economy trying to repair these turds.

I agree but this ones got my head done in and i dont like to be defeated..

Last edited:
For the record. It's compulsory to check the ionisation probes when servicing these pieces of junk. Clearly you weren't there for that, but it's noteworthy.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to an ideal icos he18 story in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, basic question, any insight much appreciated. Looking to have an outdoor tap in my front porch fed from 15mm pex coming up from suspended floor. Pic 1 is inside porch, pex temporarily clipped to give an idea of pipe placement (ignore shoddy blockwork of booted cowboy builder!), Pic 2 is...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock