Search the forum,

Discuss After drain, must add inhibitor? in the USA area at PlumbersForums.net

Hi,
The gas engineer installed my house radiators in August, all are new ones. But there was a leak on one of them on 26th of October, he came and drained all the system, and fixed the the leak.
But he did NOT add inhibitor.
I was just told that once drained the system, it has to add inhibitor otherwise it will cause a lot of issues! Such as:
  • Damage to the boiler
  • Damage to the radiators, such as leaks
  • Blocked pipes
  • Damage to the boiler’s heat exchanger, affecting the boiler’s ability to supply hot water for the taps
  • Radiators taking a long time to heat up, or don’t get hot in certain places.
Is this the case? I am so worried now..

Please advise , is this the case that once drained the system, it has to add inhibitor?

NO doubt it will go to the trouble you in future, plus if you don't it so often then it should chance it will not create any issues but from my point of view, you should get it done whenever you got the time.
Yes, I will get it done often from now on.

But my concern is, on 26th of October, when the gas engineer drained the system WITHOUT adding inhibitor, will this cause problem? Or the problem may already caused?

Is it too late to add inhibitor now?

Good morning,
  • Was inhibitor added initially? I believe there’s now different ways of adding treated water?
  • Was the whole system drained?
You mean when he installed the system, i.e. radiators, boiler, cylinder in August?
To be honest, I am not sure he had...
Treated water, you mean inhibitor?

I think so. All radiator drained. Not just one.

Do you know or think if drained system without inhibitor, will cause problem by now?

Thank you!

1. If he / she drained it with all radiator valves open it should have inhibitor added in the next few days.
2. If It was drained with all the radiators (bar one) shut off, then there will be minor dilution of the inhibitor.
3. If in doubt, add inhibitor.
Thank you!
I do not know how he drained...
For point2, did you mean it is less problematic/less serious?

I will add it for sure! Will it be late now?
But do you think this is big issue draining system without adding inhibitor? I am worried...

I think you’re reading too much into it, but you need to find out if the water was treated to VDI2035, not inhibitor. If inhibitor was added, then add some more, but preferably the same brand.
Did you mean I am worried too much?
I will check with the installer if water was treated to VDI2035.
On 26th of October when he drained the system, he did not add inhibitor. So I will get some inhibitor to add it now.
Hope it is not too late to do this ....

Did you mean I am worried too much?
I will check with the installer if water was treated to VDI2035.
On 26th of October when he drained the system, he did not add inhibitor. So I will get some inhibitor to add it now.
Hope it is not too late to do this ....
Yes, worrying too much. Yes oxygenated water is bad for mild steel, hence why we add inhibitor, but a few months I wouldn’t think would have caused severe damaged. Find out whether it’s been treated, inhibitor added, or look for a sticker on the boiler.

No it’s not too late to add inhibitor (if needed), but will need if if none added and it’s all fresh tap water.

Yes, worrying too much. Yes oxygenated water is bad for mild steel, hence why we add inhibitor, but a few months I wouldn’t think would have caused severe damaged. Find out whether it’s been treated, inhibitor added, or look for a sticker on the boiler.

No it’s not too late to add inhibitor (if needed), but will need if if none added and it’s all fresh tap water.
Thank! I do hope I am over concerned...
It's just because I was told that once you drained your system without adding inhibitor, it will cause damage in a few weeks time which made me worried...

Sorry not clear you mentioned: "look for a sticker on the boiler." and "it’s all fresh tap water" what you mean?

If the water added to the system was just from your mains supply, then it’ll need inhibitor, but if inhibitor was added initially, there may be a sticker on the boiler to state this.

If the water added to the system was just from your mains supply, then it’ll need inhibitor, but if inhibitor was added initially, there may be a sticker on the boiler to state this.
There's no sticker on the boiler, so no inhibitor added initially which is what I thought as well as the installer never mentioned this to me.
Thank you very much for your advice!

You are worrying too much. Some advocate no inhibitor, many don’t have it for similar reasons to yours. If you are concerned, drain and refill with a dose of inhibitor.
I get it that there are alternatives to the conventional inhibitor approach, but how common are they in the UK?

Boiler is designed to work quite happily without inhibitor, however the inhibitor does improve properties of water to prevent sludge, rust and increase its thermal efficiency so seen as a worthwhile thing to add to keep your system in good condition.

You are worrying too much. Some advocate no inhibitor, many don’t have it for similar reasons to yours. If you are concerned, drain and refill with a dose of inhibitor.
My concern is, after drained the system, the gas engineer did not add inhibitor. I learned that it is a must to add inhibitor once drained the system.

I'd be posting on the gas forum if I were the OP. "New boiler installed this August. No certification!?"
I meant, there's no Gas Boiler System Commission Checklist, but I did receive an email for Certificate of Registration from boiler brand Bosh----is this Certificate of Registration you meant for certification?

I meant, there's no Gas Boiler System Commission Checklist, but I did receive an email for Certificate of Registration from boiler brand Bosh----is this Certificate of Registration you meant for certification?
My understanding is there should be a document other than manufacturer registration. That said, as I don't install boilers myself and I'm stuck abroad, rules may have changed without my knowing it. In fairness it does seem odd that an installer could register an installation with Bosch and not have at least pretended to have worked to the Benchmark code of practice, but I'm not sure which is why I suggested posting the specific question on the gas forum.

My understanding is there should be a document other than manufacturer registration. That said, as I don't install boilers myself and I'm stuck abroad, rules may have changed without my knowing it. In fairness it does seem odd that an installer could register an installation with Bosch and not have at least pretended to have worked to the Benchmark code of practice, but I'm not sure which is why I suggested posting the specific question on the gas forum.
Thank you for your query and doubt!

I went specially to find the Gas Certificate I have and checked online, it is indeed the boiler installation certificate.
But on the certificate it does not say any specific thing like boiler installation certificate, even not mention boiler or any work done. So I had thought it was my gas hob installation which the installer told me to get the certificate for me. The gas hob and boiler installed at similar time.

Now, after I checked online, I found I have NO gas hob installation certificate!

Thank you again for doubting the certificate which made me find out what I actually have!

Reply to After drain, must add inhibitor? in the USA area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, basic question, any insight much appreciated. Looking to have an outdoor tap in my front porch fed from 15mm pex coming up from suspended floor. Pic 1 is inside porch, pex temporarily clipped to give an idea of pipe placement (ignore shoddy blockwork of booted cowboy builder!), Pic 2 is...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock