Discuss Advice Please. Gas supply pipe and video cables in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
S

Satman

Hi,

I wonder if some of the experts on here could help me. I am currently installing a TV system in a hotel in Spain. The complex is spread over a large area and on one of the walls where I am running the TV signal supply cables(CAT5e cables - hybrid IPTV system) there is a gas supply pipe from the Hotels storage tank.

There are 32 video cables; I would say each is under 10volts and one control cable, which could go up to 16volts.

Is there any problem running them parallel (in a plastic pipe) to the metal gas pipe? Also I would need to cross the gas pipe at one point with this plastic pipe (cables inside) - any problems there?

Would be really grateful for you advice, and if possible details of any links to relevant regs. I am unable to find anyone knowledgeable where I am, and the bar manager insists it’s not safe - though he knows nothing about gas, and already the hotel surveillance system crosses the Gas pipe!

Thanks in advance

Last edited by a moderator:
normally i think its 50mm between any cable and a gas pipe, but thats the uk and not spain. surly running all of the cables in one plastic pipe may cause interference? (spelling?)

the GB reg states a seperation distance of 25mm between a gas pipe and cable, and 150mm between a gas pipe and any electrical connection, if this seperation cannot be maintained it is acceptable to seperate the pipe and cable with insulated material, ie spark PVC tape, so enclosing them in pvc pipe will be Ok, as i say the preferred method is to use the min dimension but for whatever reason you cant then seperate with insulation,, TBH of all the times i have read/taught and discussed this reg i have always discussed 240v cable, not sure if low voltage is the same requirement, but if the above statement is safe for 240v it will be OK for low voltage so it may be over and above the requirement which wont be a prob, didnt know spain had any regs haha

Thanks. The pipes are at least 3cm away from each other, so should be ok. I will try not to cross the pipe then. Its going to be hard and unsightly, but better safe than sorry.

No problem with interference as cables are screened.

As with Spain and rules, regs only apply if they can get a good fine out of it!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Advice Please. Gas supply pipe and video cables in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back