Users can remove all display ads (not sponsors) for a small fee. Click for info (must be logged in)

Discuss A little bit of an advice / gas ..... in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
O

Old Account

Hello guys,

I was just thinking today about the following:
If you get called out for land lord gas safety check and you find let’s say an ID cooker obviously you will do first your procedures but for instance if he doesn’t think it’s ID and he is not willing to pay you for the works what would you do or what can Ben done to get paid?

I am just wondering as I know customers, there Can be very funny when it comes to things like this. How are you dealing with things like this? I cannot judge on it but would think one or another had that situation already.

It would be much appreciated to get an advice.

Regards,

Ron

Payment in advance?
Or part payment to book in the job?

This is why most people don't do this type of job and everybody hates landlords and letting agents

If they are being a arse about it don't argue , go outside ring Transco and get their meter capped

If they are being a arse about it don't argue , go outside ring Transco and get their meter capped
I would not hesitate to do so but would like to get paid as well. So, I assume if you are not good to them that means they won’t pay you for capping their cooker off :)

I guess I will need to figure it out.

Payment in advance?
Or part payment to book in the job?

This is why most people don't do this type of job and everybody hates landlords and letting agents
That would be an option with payment in advance or upon arrival. I mean they have options to sort the ID out if they want to but a lot of them won’t understand it and therefore do not want you to come back :) have you had similar issues ?

I would not hesitate to do so but would like to get paid as well. So, I assume if you are not good to them that means they won’t pay you for capping their cooker off :)

I guess I will need to figure it out.
What process do you follow for the work you do now mate?

What process do you follow for the work you do now mate?
I am just cautious about customers ... I know the people how they can be towards engineers. I just wanted to find out how to get paid when finding an install which is ID. I assume if you have to ID an appliance and they are not happy to change for example a freestanding cooker you need to disconnect it and cap that off with customers permission. If they do not allow you, you would fill in a form let it sign off ... if they don’t sign you call transco ... but for coming out doing a land lord gas safety you wanna get paid. If you cap it off and they don’t want to pay that’s where I want fo know what to do.

have you had similar issues ?
I dont do many but its always a worry when you go to a new customer
They think you are trying to rip them off
You think they are trying to rip you off

Lots of people do them for so little money they cant have time to do it properly so when you turn up and start removing boiler covers, going in the loft, useing smoke pellets they think you are trying to find problems.

That would be an option with payment in advance or upon arrival. I mean they have options to sort the ID out if they want to but a lot of them won’t understand it and therefore do not want you to come back :) have you had similar issues ?

If you expect to survive in this game you need to be a little harder with people, the law is the law if they don't like it hard luck, its your licence on the line, what would you do if it was a fire or boiler ? and they wouldn't let you disconnect it ! its your responsibility. We have courts if they don't pay let the courts deal with it, letting agents will give you the run a round cos they know if you don't do it their is a queue waiting to do the work for less

I dont do many but its always a worry when you go to a new customer
They think you are trying to rip them off
You think they are trying to rip you off

Lots of people do them for so little money they cant have time to do it properly so when you turn up and start removing boiler covers, going in the loft, useing smoke pellets they think you are trying to find problems.
That’s exactly what my assessor has said with the smoke pellet. But that is the correct way of check the flue. I know some people they do them in 10-15min. Which is somehow a little too fast for me

I am just cautious about customers . I know the people how they can be towards engineers. I just wanted to find out how to get paid when finding an install which is ID. I assume if you have to ID an appliance and they are not happy to change for example a freestanding cooker you need to disconnect it and cap that off with customers permission. If they do not allow you, you would fill in a form let it sign off . if they don’t sign you call transco . but for coming out doing a land lord gas safety you wanna get paid. If you cap it off and they don’t want to pay that’s where I want fo know what to do.

Then you go through the process and take them to court, you cant afford to mess a round , or you will soon be out of work.

If you expect to survive in this game you need to be a little harder with people, the law is the law if they don't like it hard luck, its your licence on the line, what would you do if it was a fire or boiler ? and they wouldn't let you disconnect it ! its your responsibility. We have courts if they don't pay let the courts deal with it, letting agents will give you the run a round cos they know if you don't do it their is a queue waiting to do the work for less
As mentioned I have no hesitation to disconnect appliances. If the appliance is ID, that’s it for me. Either they give me the chance to sort it out or it will be capped. I want to make sure they are safe and the people around them.

Money is not the most important issue here Ronny as Gas Safe engineers our most important role is to protect peoples lives and property, If you come across a potential ID situation on a cooker the first thing to do is isolate the gas supply complete the nessasary paperwork recording the occupants details , agents or landlords details all the faults you have identified get it signed by the responsible person living in the property, contact the letting agent or owner of the property to explain your findings only then with their permission can you disconnect and cap off the supply or attempt a repair, if they point blank refuse then and only then contact Cadent who have the rights of entry and can cut or cap the gas supply to the property. The financial costs can be sorted out at a later date amicably or if needed legally my advice avoid cookers and gas fires until you have built up more experience fit new by all means but dont go working on and certifying any dinosaur appliances . all the best kop

Money is not the most important issue here Ronny as Gas Safe engineers our most important role is to protect peoples lives and property, If you come across a potential ID situation on a cooker the first thing to do is isolate the gas supply complete the nessasary paperwork recording the occupants details , agents or landlords details all the faults you have identified get it signed by the responsible person living in the property, contact the letting agent or owner of the property to explain your findings only then with their permission can you disconnect and cap off the supply or attempt a repair, if they point blank refuse then and only then contact Cadent who have the rights of entry and can cut or cap the gas supply to the property. The financial costs can be sorted out at a later date amicably or if needed legally my advice avoid cookers and gas fires until you have built up more experience fit new by all means but dont go working on and certifying any dinosaur appliances . all the best kop
That’s exactly the way we got it explained over and over again. Obviously, you are not going to a customers house and cap things just because you can. It would not be nice if someone had a ID boiler in the middle of the winter and they’ve got childeren etc. But to protect people and their property sometimes you need to go this way ... i do not know yet but hoping that people are understandable when it comes to gas appliances. I have seen over the years horrible installs and surely majority not cetprtified. I will definitely take your advice in terms dinosaurs installs :) I guess I have enough of bad works so no need to get more on board

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to A little bit of an advice / gas ..... in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, I’m looking to retrain as a gas engineer and do a new entrants gas course. I’m a bit concerned by the ‘on-job’ work experience/shadowing, as...
Replies
Views
Hi everyone, My customer has a gas fire (Gazco Logic HE fire, about 10 years old). It's a slide control fire. The fire has become difficult to...
Replies
Views
Am I the only one struggling to find appliances' manuals online? I know it's hard enough with cookers and old gas fires but I've just been unable...
Replies
Views
Had our gas Baxi Combi inspected and serviced today, as it has been every year. Gas safety cert issued and says all okay, but engineer gave what I...
Replies
Views
Hi everyone, I’m new to the forum and joined specifically to try to get an answer to my question. I have an 88yo mother-in-law who is recently...
Replies
Views
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock