Search the forum,

Discuss 15mm / 10mm 3-part reducers in the DIY Plumbing Forum area at PlumbersForums.net

Been in the garage having a practise with 3-part compression reducers on 10mm Speedfit pipe and it hasn’t gone particularly well and i wonder what i am doing wrong?
I found that the olive (swapped a copper one for the brass one due to plastic pipe) and bottom part that pokes out of the nut were really tight and were marking the pipe upon fitting - see first picture. I tried multiple times with multiple reducers and olives, all with the same outcome. Is this to be expected / accepted?
The reducers i have are unbranded ones from Toolstation (i think) and wonder if this is the issue? They do stock (very expensive) Conex ones and maybe these are the better bet? I tried adding a dab of silicone grease to the pipe just to see if it helped matters, but it did not.
As an aside, would you put a dab of paste between the body of the valve and the first part of the reducer - see pic 2? Just thinking about possible failures and what options there are if nipping-it-up doesn’t work?
TIA

Attachments

• 39412D10-77F5-422F-ADFA-41C8B587B5E4.jpeg
    39412D10-77F5-422F-ADFA-41C8B587B5E4.jpeg
    194.1 KB · Views: 14
  • CF7FB8AD-8420-44C9-9334-2BC560CC205B.jpeg
    CF7FB8AD-8420-44C9-9334-2BC560CC205B.jpeg
    541.7 KB · Views: 14
Conex are a better olive but brass and guest say not to use brass olives. Also I say no paste on plastic.

Everything stays loose apart from the olive.
Apologies, i should’ve been clearer! I just placed the items on the pipe, without actually applying any compression. In doing this, i found that it had scored the pipe as shown in the picture. I expected a snug fit, but not so tight as to be awkward to get on and mark the pipe. I wonder if this is down to a cheap fitting and would be better with the more expensive option, or just par for the course with compression fittings and speedfit pipe?

Looks fine to me you could if your bothered polish the internal big reducer piece

Has no ill effect if it gets roughed up

Looks fine to me you could if your bothered polish the internal big reducer piece

Has no ill effect if it gets roughed up
Hi Shaun,
It was shaving very fine bits of the pipe off and that concerned me a bit. Just didn’t seem right.
it was the smaller part that protrudes from the nut that was the key contributor, along with the olive to a lesser extent.
i guess a polish might help, but are the Conex ones worth the extra as they are very expensive?
If you get leaks out of these things, is there anything you can do? I’m not sure if the conventional solutions (e.g paste) should be anywhere near plastic and I don’t know the likelihood of these things failing?

Tbh all fittings arnt like the old ones also the pipe might be slightly bigger od wise

As for leaks aslong as you don’t overtighten around 0.5-3/4 of a turn you should be good

Reply to 15mm / 10mm 3-part reducers in the DIY Plumbing Forum area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

The fittings below are for a mixer bar attached to a self contained shower. i.e not a wall. The attaching screws have snapped. I could get two new brackets, dismantle that existing one and start again or I could try and re attach via those screws, removing the broken ones from the plate and wall...
Replies
Views
I have had a look at previous posts and think I know the answer to this but just before I make it worse could I just check what you think about this one. Granddaughter just moved house and this valve decided to leak when it was closed. When open its fine. Normally I have repacked the gland on...
Replies
Views
Hello all, I’m replacing a concrete paving slab patio in the back yard. The original patio used 50mm deep concrete slabs on hardcore & sand. I’m planning to pour a 100mm deep concrete patio on 100mm hardcore. In order to achieve the same final height to line up with the rest of the patio, I...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock