Discuss Home heating issue - Upstairs and downstairs in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Have you or did the plumber remove the pump head and check the impeller was clean? I've seen loads of impellers and pump bodies that have been clogged up which obviously restricts the flow of water.

I’m reluctant to comment as I’m not an installer like SimonG and these other guys. I understand these things and how they work however I’m a humble hoover man (oil fired appliances). If the system IS infected with large amounts of sludge (black iron oxide) then a proper power flush is where I’d start, bare in mind this is not an hours job. The system should be flushed as a whole, then each rad individually and then the system as a whole again. Proper chemicals should be used and again larger systems could take considerably longer.

Have you or did the plumber remove the pump head and check the impeller was clean? I've seen loads of impellers and pump bodies that have been clogged up which obviously restricts the flow of water.
I did the same as this guy:

Not sure if that's what you mean. The impeller was moving freely both ways and the water coming out was clear.

I’m reluctant to comment as I’m not an installer like SimonG and these other guys. I understand these things and how they work however I’m a humble hoover man (oil fired appliances). If the system IS infected with large amounts of sludge (black iron oxide) then a proper power flush is where I’d start, bare in mind this is not an hours job. The system should be flushed as a whole, then each rad individually and then the system as a whole again. Proper chemicals should be used and again larger systems could take considerably longer.

Sounds sensible - I can hire a flush for the weekend.

I managed to get to the impeller - all bar one of the channels for water were clogged up. Having unclogged these the pump is now running at 36watts vs a previous 25watts. When upstairs and downstairs and hot water are calling for heat, only upstairs and hot water are getting any. If it's just hot water and downstairs calling for heat, then it's just hot water which gets any. If it's just downstairs calling for heat, then it gets heat but those two furthest radiators are still an issue.

So, no change apart from the pump is now able to use more energy.

I am inclined to think that a power flush is the next step. Any thoughts?

Last edited:

Reply to Home heating issue - Upstairs and downstairs in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock