Discuss Advice needed please - run water pipes out or in walls ? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Never bury compression fittings
Thanks everyone, i was worried about the fittings between the 2 pipes becoming in accessible. I have a plasterer coming to skim all walls so I will ask him to do a "little box" around the fittings, the rest of the wall i am confident he can patch with pieces of board then skim over with the rest. This way we can get to the fittings easier if we need to and the main wall is flat. Would that work?

Rob, what is the name of the white plastic wire cover strip, i want to do everything i can to protect the pipes/plaster from cracking

Get a straight edge and bridge it across the highest points (pipe clips), if it's a couple of mm that isn't enough should be at least 5mm preferably more. They could've recessed the block work to give more space, plastic or copper.
it is just a couple mm where the fittings are unfortunately

Thanks everyone, i was worried about the fittings between the 2 pipes becoming in accessible. I have a plasterer coming to skim all walls so I will ask him to do a "little box" around the fittings, the rest of the wall i am confident he can patch with pieces of board then skim over with the rest. This way we can get to the fittings easier if we need to and the main wall is flat. Would that work?

Rob, what is the name of the white plastic wire cover strip, i want to do everything i can to protect the pipes/plaster from cracking
its PVC channel part number 92673 from tool station

It must be me...

Firstly, understanding what I do now about how & why corrosion takes place in a system, I would NEVER fit the likes of speedfit or ployplumb etc. They are NOT gas tight so your system life is automatically and immediately limited. IF it must be plastic for some reason use a 100% airtight system & a good de-aerator so that destructive oxygen can be eliminated.

To the OP. If this pipework is on an outside wall then most def do NOT bury and make sure it is lagged properly with insulation that will work to protect against freezing too. That means NOT to use the grey waxy polyethylene insulation but proper nitrile based stuff and make sure its properly glued on every mortal joint.

Doing it properly will not be cheap, but it will save you 5-10 times its cost over the life of the installation. Your call. Buy cheap, buy sh1te.

It must be me...

Firstly, understanding what I do now about how & why corrosion takes place in a system, I would NEVER fit the likes of speedfit or ployplumb etc. They are NOT gas tight so your system life is automatically and immediately limited. IF it must be plastic for some reason use a 100% airtight system & a good de-aerator so that destructive oxygen can be eliminated.

To the OP. If this pipework is on an outside wall then most def do NOT bury and make sure it is lagged properly with insulation that will work to protect against freezing too. That means NOT to use the grey waxy polyethylene insulation but proper nitrile based stuff and make sure its properly glued on every mortal joint.

Doing it properly will not be cheap, but it will save you 5-10 times its cost over the life of the installation. Your call. Buy cheap, buy sh1te.

The pipe is it's the fittings same with compression fitting

Shaun Shaun Shaun. Read their tech spec my friend. It very clearly states their barrier pipe has a level of 'allowed' permeability. That its only fittings is a myth. :eek:

Don't know how as it's got a lining, I know the old hep stuff sucked in air like anything

Ok, il ask plasterer to create a little boxing around the fittings so they are easiky accessibke. The new plastic pipes he's fitted are 10mm quality pex barrier pipe. He said he has tested for pressure/leaks but I'm not sure what or how as the radiators are empty as they need to stay off for the plasterer whwho not coming for a couple weeks. plumber is telling me I need to add an inhibitor (what is this and where do I get it), should he not put this in as a matter of course if he's put plastic pipes in?

Reply to Advice needed please - run water pipes out or in walls ? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back