Currently reading:
What's been going on with the forum then?

Discuss What's been going on with the forum then? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dan

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
I wouldn't want to 'test' the attackers so don't post anything about this anywhere public. If you're found to do so we'll just ban your account. It's not worth it.

Now things appear to have settled I feel comfortable letting you know what's being going on and why we've been up and down like a yoyo.

Keep this out of the public areas of the forum and whatnot. As it risks screwing the forum again.

Sunday morning we noticed a massive amount of traffic coming into the network, a few hours on we noticed it was a DDOS attack. Where too many requests are sent to the websites for the server and network to handle so it crashes the websites. Our hosts were able to manage the traffic to a degree while we traced what was going on. And it became apparent that it was thousands if not near 100,000+ botnets (computers being controlled by attackers without the owners knowledge) sending false requests to the forums to crash the server.

This had a knock-on effect on our hosts other customers, and even my hosts ISP in the London Docklands had to shut down some of their own traffic routing systems to stop the traffic.

Monday the attackers changed tactics and used HTTP requests that were left open, so the websites wouldn't resolve them properly. That crashed the forums too.

Tuesday it changed to DNS reflection where they attack the IP address itself and send traffic directly to that.

And today we've switched to an expensive routing service to send traffic through to filter out any nasty stuff. Done this for the main forums, carted all my customers off to other solutions so they're not affected now, and I have closed down a lot of my own websites and forums and things.

It's cost me thousands in losses and extra services and I wouldn't wish this on any of our competitor forums. Really dodgy situation to be put in.

I was expecting a ransom related message but haven't got anything so far. The attack is classed as industrial sabotage and as dozens of other companies we affected, along with our host, their network provider (and their other customers) and their ISP (and their other customers) we've had to get the old SOCA (Serious and Organised Crimes Agency) which is now called NCA (National Crimes Agency) involved who are investigating the attack in case this is part of some bigger issue (like that dodgy RansomWare thing that's going about). We're not too sure who's doing it or why but we've fought them off for now.

At no point were anything to do with personal details at risk. They we're NOT physically hacking us or anything, just sending massive amounts of traffic to us in the form of what took down PayPal and Amazon and VISA (and even SOCA last year).

So it looks like we're okay now. A few people are having DNS / Cache related issues but that'll all calm down in the next 24 hours or so as networks refresh and whatnot.

I wouldn't want to 'test' the attackers so don't post anything about this anywhere public. If you're found to do so we'll just ban your account. It's not worth it.

Last edited:
So basically you were on Holliday again on the beach and after partying for so long you lost all your belongings and could not return quicker to uk to press the reset bottom on your fan that's cooling down your computer system !!!!!??? Not good Dan :) lol

Seems a bit odd to be targeted, you annoyed any computer geniuses recently?

No it's targeted right at me mate. Not sure why. Or who.

The problem and the solution is the same whether it's the Chinese government, Anonymous hacking group, or some spotty little pr1ck in his bedroom. So I've given up guessing now and just sorted it out.

I was seriously expecting a ransom demand. But they took my emails out so maybe they couldn't contact me haha (joke, my phone numbers are everywhere).
they are all fighting for freeweeeedooooom :) lol

image.jpg
Freeeeeeedoooooooommmmmm

in my minds eye.

Email notifications are now back up and running. In fact all emails should now be working fine.

Hey Dan, you've got to be asking yourself "is it worth it"

Never entered my head pal.
Forums are my thing. Not sure I'd feel complete without logging in some forums I own. When I visit other peoples forums it just doesn't feel the same. I'd be really jealous if I sold these forums and kept seeing them when I'm searching for plumbing, electrical or tiling advice.

Never entered my head pal.
Forums are my thing. Not sure I'd feel complete without logging in some forums I own. When I visit other peoples forums it just doesn't feel the same. I'd be really jealous if I sold these forums and kept seeing them when I'm searching for plumbing, electrical or tiling advice.

Here here Dan LONG LIVE YOUR FORUM.

Seems a bit odd to be targeted, you annoyed any computer geniuses recently?

Must have done.

The thing is, I don't have much to do with the runnings of the forums these days. My job is to keep them online and do all the backend stuff (which if you don't ever notice any problems, it's usually because I've worked on them - not that we have none). And obviously arrange advertising etc here and there.

So if somebody is annoyed with a forum, it's probably the result of firstly a bunch of members picking on them, then a moderator banning them, then me ignoring their complaint emails. More-so than me physically annoying somebody.

So what your saying is you're blaming Croppie :wink:

Last edited:
Forum Rule #73
Whenever all reasonable explanations have been exhausted blame Croppie....
Only for your expert banning ways that have nearly brought me as much pleasure as the Mr Freeman chronicles

I reckon it might have been System3.

I was on a break when that happened, and it seems to be a lot like the jelly fish thing in friends, or the fishing trip in Gavin and Stacey.

everyone know something happened, those that know what happened won't talk about it, those that don't know can only speculate.

I was on a break when that happened, and it seems to be a lot like the jelly fish thing in friends, or the fishing trip in Gavin and Stacey.

everyone know something happened, those that know what happened won't talk about it, those that don't know can only speculate.

image.jpg

Its back on again! Ive not been able to get on again for a few days.

I have had some terrible withdrawals lately........

......but thats enough about the local crack shortage, lets talk plumbing :D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to What's been going on with the forum then? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Back