Discuss What is scrap cost of copper tank? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
S

stratobuddy

Recently removed a copper HW tank, the type coated in foam insulation. It is a fairly large DHW tank but I don't know its capacity.

Can you give me an idea of its scrap value please?

Not worth bothering with tbh. You should give it to your plumber to dispose of for you. If you slip him a tenner he may even get rid of it properly and not throw it over a hedge on the way home.

Plug all the outlets and fill it with water before you take it down the scarp yard. It will weigh alot more then and you should get in the region of £300 for it. It's a little trick all us plumbers do.

As Croppie said it is not worth the trouble. I took 4 away today that i had been saving to make something creative from, only because the wife said the garden was like a cowp and she wants it tidied for the bbq tomorrow. What a waste of time and petrol money. Not even enough to buy a suckling pig! All i need now is for it to rain:smile:

i get £45 if i take it as it is. i get more if i strip it of foam and cut them to bits lid off coil out etc. but thats only worth doing if you have a few of them. or if the van is full and i cant be bothered i call the local rag and bone man he gives me £25 and saves him having to break into my garage and not give me anything for it like the last 2 times!!!

Just a week ago over here, brazery copper was as much as £3.90 & cylinders for some reason were a tad less at £3.75 a kilo & pure copper (clean pipe) was £4.10 a kilo.
A 36x18" grade3 modern indirect is about 13 kilo at least, so that makes it worth £50 approx & if is an older heavy type you could be closer to £100.

I always take me scrap in. Especially cylinders! Took a 1800x400 direct out the other week got over £100 for it! Do prices vary around the country???

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to What is scrap cost of copper tank? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back