Search the forum,

Discuss What are the disadvantages of a Boilermate Thermal Store? in the Central Heating Forum area at PlumbersForums.net

I'm renovating my house which has a standard Vaillant boiler and tank in the cellar, and a tank in the loft. The house will have 2 bathrooms, and is a largish Victorian house (3 floor, but bathrooms are on half landings, at 1.5 and 2.5). Will have UFH on ground floor

I've had the lead main replaced and get good water pressure.

All the plumbers I've spoken to have suggest installing an unvented cylinder system, or combi, but this will involve a pump for the discharge if I want to put it in the cellar.

Is there any reason not to buy a modern Gledhill Boilermate? This wouldn't require a pump, or annual servicing and could potentially be topped up via solar one day. And they are quite cheap at £1000ish.

Noone has given me specific reasons what's wrong with a Thermal Store here, but everyone says not to. What are the problems with one?

I'm not that convinced Gledhill are that great at QC had issue with their products on several occasions, the main problem with a thermal store is it's always hot 65 - 70° c so a location where it's not going to cause a overheating issues is best , summer months are worse you say you will use solar to heat the store ? In the summer months this may work but may need boosting by the boiler on larger hot water demand . I'm in agreement with the engineers you've spoken to a boiler and unvented cylinder coupled with solar or PV and weather compensation would be a better option have a look at Viessmann product's 👍😉 kop

Over heating a thermal store is a waste of money, unless you are trying to tie in uncontrolled heat sources.

Unvented cylinder and a system boiler, if you need a pump so ge it.

Reply to What are the disadvantages of a Boilermate Thermal Store? in the Central Heating Forum area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

We run a community village hall and have a large kitchen provided for the use of hirers. This includes a Lincat SLR9 gas cooker which I believe is a 23.8Kw appliance with all six burners and oven on max. This was installed some 10 years ago and has passed all subsequent Gas Safety inspections as...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock