Search the forum,

Discuss Weather compensation for flat? (Valiant VRC470) in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a one bedroom flat which I rent and is heated by a Valiant ecotec plus, although I've never had any complaints I've never been completely happy with the control system so was thinking of upgrading perhaps to a weather compensated version like the VRC470 (could be wired or wireless). My question is how do they actually work would it be worth it on a small 4 rad property, secondly is the system smart enough so the room stat be positioned in the main living room rather than the small hallway which is highly prone to variations in temp. There are TRV's on lounge and bedroom rads none on the hallway and bathroom.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

A lot depends on how well the flat is insulated, and whether it has other flats above / below / one or both sides.

If it is a flat with another above, and another to either side, I wouldn't bother. The money you'd spend on the controls would be as much as you'd save (at current gas prices) over several years.

If its not so well insulated, then:

a. If you live in it, you could install the weather compensation. Its very fiddly to work, and unless your boiler is a combi I'd strongly advise you to have separate hot water and central heating times.

b. If you let the flat out I wouldn't dream of installing weather compensation. You'll spend your life on the 'phone explaining to the tenants how to work it.

They work (broadly speaking) by using the outside (North facing wall) temperature to determine how hard to fire the boiler to ensure the inside of the property reaches the desired temperature at the required time. They use a "heating curve" over which you have some control to determine the rate of heat loss from the property for a given outside temperature. The system "learns" over time how your property reacts to changes in the outside environment.

You would save gas as it is more efficient, but whether the savings would outweigh the supply and installation costs is another matter.

The VRC470 can go anywhere inside the property. However if in a room with a TRV, then that TRV should be set to maximum, otherwise the TRV and VRC470 could "fight" each other.

I've got the weather compensation set up with a heat only boiler. It has saved quite a bit of gas over the last four years, but it is a pain in the rear to set up and operate. I'm often tempted to get rid of it and install a standard programmer and thermostat.

Could I throw into the mix Vaillants V-smart really simple thermostat but has weather comp built in that links to the Internet and actually picks up local weather based on your postcode also has all the smart phone connectivity if that floats your boat

WC when installed and set up correctly should be a breeze to operate; it can take a little while to find it's way but after that it's as good as gold. It will save you gas every which way you look at it and its doesn't really matter too much how well your property is insulated. You could go for something such as a TADO or Honeywell EvoHome which are both very good.

Howsie, I agree - but the Vaillant controls are difficult to use. The actual weather compensation side of it isn't all that complicated - its the needless complexity inherent to the Vaillant VRC470 / VR65 units that drive me nuts.

Howsie, I agree - but the Vaillant controls are difficult to use. The actual weather compensation side of it isn't all that complicated - its the needless complexity inherent to the Vaillant VRC470 / VR65 units that drive me nuts.

Then I urge you to look at the V smart it's simple

Tado or Evohome may be a better choice. Vaillant stuff is very clever but can be quite 'involved'

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Weather compensation for flat? (Valiant VRC470) in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Every two weeks or so I have to go and top up the system because the hot taps are running cold. Boiler display is flashing 0.6 bar and I fill up...
Replies
Views
PSxxxxxx
P
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock