Discuss Vertical flue slate roof in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.

GasmanxxxR1

Plumbers Arms member
Plumber
Gas Engineer
Working on 1900 house with newish slate roof. I have all the proper ladders etc.

Anyone had experience using a pitch roof weather slate on a slate roof, anything to look out for.

It looks a bit fragile as do all slate roofs, customer said he has been up on it before

Cheers

The 'new' Brazilian slates are about as much use a Brazilian bikini !! When fixing solar panels, we usually have to replace 3 for each one we have to take out, at only £1.10 each (max) it's not really an issue of cost. Get a slates ripper and a slate cutter Toolstation > Hand Tools > Roofing Tools > Slaters Ripper you slide it up under the slate to rip out the nail holding it in from underneath (shear it through) then use these to hold the one slate that you can't fix back in when you flash around it.
Hall hook Slate Repair / Fixing: Amazon.co.uk: DIY & Tools
Genius Roof Solutions? | Hallhook? - The permanent, secret and fail safe device for replacing a broken slate
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=134sVNOzn_w

Best roof flashing by a mile: Seldek

Last edited:
I have seen one of those slate rippers before, might be a good investment, cheers worcester

The 'new' Brazilian slates are about as much use a Brazilian bikini !! When fixing solar panels, we usually have to replace 3 for each one we have to take out, at only £1.10 each (max) it's not really an issue of cost. Get a slates ripper and a slate cutter Toolstation > Hand Tools > Roofing Tools > Slaters Ripper you slide it up under the slate to rip out the nail holding it in from underneath (shear it through) then use these to hold the one slate that you can't fix back in when you flash around it.
Hall hook Slate Repair / Fixing: Amazon.co.uk: DIY & Tools
Genius Roof Solutions? | Hallhook? - The permanent, secret and fail safe device for replacing a broken slate
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=134sVNOzn_w

Best roof flashing by a mile: Seldek

Seldeck? Didn't take you for a comedian!

I wish I could do this. I just paid £325 to have a vert flue installed! Quoted me £200 and then realised he couldn't hook his roof ladder over as no where to latch. Then no battens, only like feather edge so he had to strip tiles and use battens for a ladder. I was gutted. Big dent in me profit

I wish I could do this. I just paid £325 to have a vert flue installed! Quoted me £200 and then realised he couldn't hook his roof ladder over as no where to latch. Then no battens, only like feather edge so he had to strip tiles and use battens for a ladder. I was gutted. Big dent in me profit
get a better roofer we would pay 150

first time I went up on my slate roof, 150 years old via some scaffold, 1/2 way up roof a complete 20 x 20 foot section just slid off............ me on it !!!!!!!!!!!!!!! nail fatigue can be lethal, be careful up there :)

£150 will hire a decent tower scaffold for him to work from and allow you to remain a safety conscious main contractor, no subbie should use ladders for roof work, they arent safe.

Jeez Guys this use to be a plumbers job, what's going on, you be telling me next that the lead slate you bought is the wrong angle, what do you do then, bash the crap out of it!!

Go down to the local B&Q and seek out that man called "Steve the Plumber" and ask him to do it for you, most of those chaps have a few tales to tell, and that's where I will end up.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have seen one of those slate rippers before, might be a good investment, cheers worcester

Bet you never use it again after this job, but it will look good hung in the shed next to the pipe bender, when your mate next door sees it, "What's That":thinking:

A slate ripper!!!!!!:50:

End of!!!

My mate Terry below with his band THE ARMY OF SKANKS.
Top roofer, though you wouldn't think.
10390039_935740879775849_440483804377192029_n_zps022c2b80.jpg

And with his other band:
http://www.voodookings.co.uk/

First job he done for me, he arrived with a dirty great big fluorescent green mohican.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Vertical flue slate roof in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4...
Replies
Views
Hi all I'm hoping someone can shine a light on this for me Since our stop tap on the pavement has now been filled with sand for whatever reason...
Replies
Views
Hi, basic question, any insight much appreciated. Looking to have an outdoor tap in my front porch fed from 15mm pex coming up from suspended...
Replies
Views
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock