Currently reading:
Trainee gas questions in this thread ONLY please

Discuss Trainee gas questions in this thread ONLY please in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.

bassmonster

Plumbers Arms member
Plumber
Gas Engineer
hey all,
I'm just ticking off the boxes in my completed tasks folder for my ACS and for some reason my mind has gone completely blank.

Ok, so in all my 12 jobs, i have to carry measure operating pressure on the appliance. correct me if i'm wrong, you cannot carry out operating pressure if the boiler has a zero governor ? is there any other way of measuring the operating pressure on a boiler with a zero governor like through some calculation with the meter?

can you fill up the kettle with the hot? Mix up taps and pour yourself a glass of water from it?
Wouldn't catch me putting hot water in my kettle. But then again I've never bought leaded in my life as I know I'd pick it up by mistake at some point

Ok. It's something we choose not to risk. Not to mention the occupational health issues.

I did a Flue flow and spillage test over the weekend. While doing a Flue flow test, my training center told us to take off the back plate and let the pellet burn as in photo but my mentor has said the smoke pellet should be burnt thorough the back plate hole......are both ways permissible?

uploadfromtaptalk1396290826272.jpg

Either, but you need to remove closure plate to inspect/clean catchment space and look up chimney so there is your answer.

Another quickie... We'll be doing a gas certificate this weekend. A delonghi 4 Burner gas hob has the data badge missing for some odd reason and there no instructions to hand. Is there a standard range of KW for 4 burners?

Another quickie... We'll be doing a gas certificate this weekend. A delonghi 4 Burner gas hob has the data badge missing for some odd reason and there no instructions to hand. Is there a standard range of KW for 4 burners?

Not these days, every make is different now with wok and dual burners etc.

what are you opinions about the flame picture here? is the orange caused by dust/dirt?

IMG_20140328_210055.jpg

Flame looks blue and radiants hot. On my phone. Normally dust results in soot. What was the bp ?

Just a wild card tip here lads and lasses. Keep your Facebook profile sensible. We just sacked a lad off( didn't even start his first day) as his Facebook was all about smoking weed and getting up to mischief. Sorry .

Just a wild card tip here lads and lasses. Keep your Facebook profile sensible. We just sacked a lad off( didn't even start his first day) as his Facebook was all about smoking weed and getting up to mischief. Sorry .

Have to say, schoolboy error in this day and age

another quick question.

just need some clarification please.

When pipe sizing, i know that you are allowed 1mb drop in pressure. Does this mean the drop is allowed per appliance. for example, 1mb drop on boiler, then another 1mb drop on hob or is the 1mb drop permissible as a whole? hope that makes sense....

hi all,
I've not logged in for a while..been really busy completing my portfolio which has now been finally signed off.

I'm just revising to sit my exams.

I've come across few questions on gas rate and heat input which has got my stumped...i just cannot seem get the correct answers. by using the method i've been taught to calculate.

any help in showing the calculations would be much appreciated so i know where i'm going wrong:

Assume the following specification for the questions which follow:Metric CVgross (nat.gas) = 38.76 MJ/m3
Imperial CVgross (nat.gas) = 1040 btu/ft3

The Index of a U16 meter is showing a reading of 60.00 then 2 minutes and 24 seconds later it is showing 60.18 during which time a large domestic boiler was operating. What is the heat Input of the boiler?

I. 4.85 kWnet.
II. 28.06 kW net.
ii. 43.65 kW net.
iv. 48.45 kW net.

A natural gas fire is operating at full rate and timed for a period of 2 minutes ans 3 seconds. The G4 meter index starts at 00001.230 and ends at 00001.249 during this period. What is the heat input of this appliance?

i. 3.268 kWnet
ii. 3.628 kWnet
iii. 5.394 kWnet
iv. 5.987 kWnet

The index of an E6 meter is showing a reading of 26942.987 and again 2 minutes and 5 seconds later during it's showing 26943.053 which time a combi boiler was operating on hot water. What is the heat input of the boiler?

i. 11.24 kW net.
ii. 12.48 kW net.
iii. 18.44 kW net.
iv. 20.4 7 kW net

Last edited:
ok, i've figured out the first 2...if anyone is interested, here's what i did:

0.18 x 3600 = 648
648 / 144 seconds = 4.5
4.5 x 38.76 = 174.42
174.42 / 3.6 = 48.45kw

0.019 x 3600 = 68.4
68.4 / 123 = 0.55
0.55 x 38.76 = 21.55
21.55 / 3.6 = 5.98kw

i'm still struggling with the last one through..........

Hey all,
I've got my exams in 2 weeks time.

i would appreciate any pointers as to what I can expect for the practical exam. what will i be expected to know and which tasks to carry out?

:)

Hey all,
I've got my exams in 2 weeks time.

i would appreciate any pointers as to what I can expect for the practical exam. what will i be expected to know and which tasks to carry out?

:)

Tightness test, gas rating appliances, service a fire, fault find a cooker, fault find a section of pipework, vents and flues, name a load of controls on a board. Service a water heater errrrrrrr mm I'll think of some more :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Trainee gas questions in this thread ONLY please in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock