Discuss Told boiler needs a new expansion vessel along with pressure relief valve - how much should this be? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi

We have a vaillant turbo max 824e rs combi boiler that has been serviced and we've been told that the boiler is found to be gas safe but is in need of a new expansion vessel along with a pressure relief valve.

How much should be expected to pay for this (Coventry)? I have only one quote from the guy who did the gas safety record. We were told that the boiler might need to be removed completely from the wall to have the new vessel fitted that the price could be significantly reduced if there was more headroom above the boiler so the old tank could be raised up from behind.

Sarah

I've got the same boiler, and had the same problem. Wouldn't recommend taking a 15 year old boiler off the wall, especially as the flue may be damaged and you would need to pay for another.

If you can, fit an external vessel. 30 quid for the vessel from Toolstation, plus a bit of pipe and couple of fittings. Did mine myself. Before you go down this route, sometimes although the valve on old vessel is spurting water, the diaphragm can re-seat itself if you try inflating it with system drained. Not always though. You poss wouldn't need an espansion vessel as big as the one on my photo - I may have slightly over sized. Doesn't need to be above boiler either, could poss go underneath or other place - as long as it's plumbed into the heating return pipe near the boiler.

If the rest of the boiler is fine, I would definitely get it fixed. They are one of the best boiler's made and all parts are available and easy to fix. Prices reasonable too. Much better than modern Vaillant plastic rubbish.

View attachment 32809
I would recommend taking that 15 year old boiler of the wall and replacing it

Hi

We have a vaillant turbo max 824e rs combi boiler that has been serviced and we've been told that the boiler is found to be gas safe but is in need of a new expansion vessel along with a pressure relief valve.

How much should be expected to pay for this (Coventry)? I have only one quote from the guy who did the gas safety record. We were told that the boiler might need to be removed completely from the wall to have the new vessel fitted that the price could be significantly reduced if there was more headroom above the boiler so the old tank could be raised up from behind.

Sarah
As far as a new expansion vessel goes, there is an alternative. You can drain the system and after refilling, partially bleed one radiator, preferably in a room you don't use much. This will act as an expansion vessel. As the pressure relief valve is a purely mechanical device I suggest yo dismantle it, give it a good clean and retest.

As far as a new expansion vessel goes, there is an alternative. You can drain the system and after refilling, partially bleed one radiator, preferably in a room you don't use much. This will act as an expansion vessel. As the pressure relief valve is a purely mechanical device I suggest yo dismantle it, give it a good clean and retest.

you do realise the air will eventually move / get dispersed

I have been running my system like this for the past 4 years, no problem. Changing boiler this year though as the existing one is 15 years old.

You sure your system isn't open vented?

This used to be used as a short term fix to get people through the weekend on a Friday evening. Not a long term fix

I'd have thought it pretty tight, tho' there's a chance (not sure of the size of vessel you need.)

What's under the microwave space - is there a kitchen base unit? If so, I'd have thought it could go in there.

Could you post a further-back picture to show what's around the boiler?

Sorry for the delay but here are some more pictures

IMG-20180211-WA0000.jpg

IMG-20180210-WA0002.jpg

IMG-20180210-WA0001.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Told boiler needs a new expansion vessel along with pressure relief valve - how much should this be? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock