Search the forum,

Discuss To insulate both hot and cold pipes? in the Gas Engineers Forum area at PlumbersForums.net

Hi all,

I just learned the external pipes for boiler system should be insulated especially in loft and garage as they are in very cold area. I checked my loft and found some pipes are insulated but others are not! I think it is because the insulated pipes are from previous owner's, since I moved in, I arranged new boiler and unvented system to be installed, the engineer went to loft and replaced some pipes for the new unvented system, but did not insulate those newly installed pipes.
Now should I insulate ALL of the exposed pipes in the loft? As they are all cold water pipes, right?

Also, I know hot pipes should be insulated as well to prevent heat loss, please see last photo where the cylinder is, there are hot pipes(for heating) and cold pipes there, should I insulate those hot pipes only in the cylinder cabinet as cold pipes won't get frozen in the cylinder cabinet.

Thanks!

Attachments

• loft pipe insulation1.jpeg
    loft pipe insulation1.jpeg
    165.4 KB · Views: 9
  • loft pipe insulation2.jpeg
    loft pipe insulation2.jpeg
    104.4 KB · Views: 9
  • loft pipe insulation3.jpeg
    loft pipe insulation3.jpeg
    102.6 KB · Views: 9
  • loft pipe insulation4.jpeg
    loft pipe insulation4.jpeg
    144.6 KB · Views: 9
  • loft pipe insulation5.jpeg
    loft pipe insulation5.jpeg
    134.2 KB · Views: 9
  • Cylinder.jpeg
    Cylinder.jpeg
    140.1 KB · Views: 9
Yes they all should be insulated

Yes they all should be insulated
Thank you for your prompt reply!
The pipes in the loft are all cold water pipes? Or some of them are hot water pipes?
When you said "all should be insulated" you mean ALL pipes in the cylinder cabinet (last photo) should be insulated? As there are hot pipes and cold water pipes in there.

Both

All the pipes in the loft should be insulated as it’s a cold space and most are cold water supplies

And yes the cylinder cupboard should have all the pipes insulated as a safety factor

Both

All the pipes in the loft should be insulated as it’s a cold space and most are cold water supplies

And yes the cylinder cupboard should have all the pipes insulated as a safety factor
Thank you again!
Last question, a general one: when a gas engineer installs a whole boiler system, is it their responsibility to insulate the pipes? Or it is not their job?

Yes it should be especially in the loft

Its a part of the job that cheaper contractors will leave if they can.
Get a lagging tool like pipe lagger pro or the one by doctor pipe and you'll get a much better, tighter job

Reply to To insulate both hot and cold pipes? in the Gas Engineers Forum area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock