Discuss To be honest in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.

quality

Plumbers Arms member
Plumber
Gas Engineer
I have just called at a new customers home to look at their back boiler as it was on my way home.

Bloke said can you come and look at our heating, I said yeh no probs I will call in on my way home but it might be 7 - 8 ish ok he said.

When I got there and walked in it was freezing and the first thing he said was TO BE HONEST WE HAVE NEVER HAS IT SERVICED IN 12 YEARS AND IT STARTED TO SMELL SO I TURNED IT OF. (not shouting)

I have worked on many back boilers but never in my life have I seen one this bad !

Nearly an inch of soot across the bottom heat exchanger and god knows how many molten bits of plastic.

Range rated and should be set to 7.1 mb as indicated but burner pressure was 19 mb (max was 15.1)

I capped it and will return but I just cannot believe some folk.

rant over time for a beer

Before I went self employed I worked for a firm doing council contracts and never had this problem. But since going self employed and working in private houses I am seeing this more and more. Getting phone calls to look at breakdowns and finding boilers in terrible states. I dont know what people really expect. Its amazing really. You could plant seeds in the bottom of some of the boilers I have seen recently

what makes me laugh is landlords. they get their CP12 certs for all their properties every year, yet you go to do some work at their own house and they havent ever had a service or even a gas safety check on their own appliances,

Totally agree with villa tom , when i come off contract works and go into private housing the state of some appliances is just ridiculous !! Makes it even worse as they dont want to pay much to get it repaired ,,,,does my nut !

Had a lot like this. Usually in houses with pets. It will take you the best part of 2-3 hours to clean it. It is a pain of a job and you and anything you touch will be covered in soot.
When you are cleaning it, remove the burner tray, strip the burner off it and wash it under the tap. Was the lint arrestor too.

Had a lot like this. Usually in houses with pets. It will take you the best part of 2-3 hours to clean it. It is a pain of a job and you and anything you touch will be covered in soot.
When you are cleaning it, remove the burner tray, strip the burner off it and wash it under the tap. Was the lint arrestor too.

I wash the burner under the hot tap when I service an open flue appliance,it gets a lot of muck out. You get a real difference in flame picture after servicing(for the better!)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to To be honest in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4...
Replies
Views
We run a community village hall and have a large kitchen provided for the use of hirers. This includes a Lincat SLR9 gas cooker which I believe is...
Replies
Views
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock