Search the forum,

Discuss The National Lottery in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.

village idiot

Plumbers Arms member
Plumber
Gas Engineer
Why do people insist on playing the National Lottery? A friend informed me today that the price has gone up from £1 to £2 per ticket, yet he spends a minimum of £20 a week (before the price increase. The good Lord knows how much he spends now).

The peoples lottery, REALLY??? You gotta be in it to win it, REALLY???

It is the greatest British Scam ever devised to drag the poor and miserable into even more debt. Peeps collect their Income Support, Job Seekers Allowance or whatever it is called and blow the lot on lottery tickets and scratch card in the believe that they will instantly become millionaires. Crazy, real crazy. What kind of morally inclined government will encourage its people to go down this route?

If it is the peoples lottery, then if you get ONE number, you should be given at least £2. for TWO numbers you should be given £30. Three numbers, £100. FOUR numbers, £400, FIVE numbers, £2000. If you get bonus ball on FIVE numbers, you get £7500. That leaves the ''winners'' with SIX numbers. They will share the supposed jackpot. In effect, instead of having SIX numbers and getting £13,000,000, you just get a massive £3,000,000 or better still, you get given £1,000,000. Everyone is a winner. I would rather have 30 families each having £2,000 than one person having £25,000,000. What a SCAM

gave up smoking so a few quid a week on the lottery and I might be quids in, not likely but Im healthy anyway now :)

gave up smoking so a few quid a week on the lottery and I might be quids in, not likely but Im healthy anyway now :)

I gave up the **** last August, going up stairs with a heavy toolbag is a lot easier now :D.
I got 5 numbers on the lottery about 5 weeks after i started my own business.... 1 number away from dancing about the street naked...got 2K instead :)

I gave up the **** last August, going up stairs with a heavy toolbag is a lot easier now :D.
I got 5 numbers on the lottery about 5 weeks after i started my own business.... 1 number away from dancing about the street naked...got 2K instead :)

Id dance down the street naked or 2k. Come to think of it I'd dance down the street naked for a lion bar and a can of fanta!

Don't know how they can justify the price increase!

Its like me saying to a customer, " I'm now charging double yesterdays rate, but I am going to work slightly harder"

If it is the peoples lottery, then if you get ONE number, you should be given at least £2. for TWO numbers you should be given £30. Three numbers, £100. FOUR numbers, £400, FIVE numbers, £2000. If you get bonus ball on FIVE numbers, you get £7500. That leaves the ''winners'' with SIX numbers. They will share the supposed jackpot. In effect, instead of having SIX numbers and getting £13,000,000, you just get a massive £3,000,000 or better still, you get given £1,000,000. Everyone is a winner

I think you would go bust running a lottery VI.

My back-of-a-***-packet calculation says that 72.2 out of every 100 lucky dips will return 1 number, and just under 9 out of every hundred will return 2 numbers.

Therefore from every 100 £2 tickets sold, you would have £200 of income, but would be paying out £144 in prizes to single number winners, and £270 worth of prizes to 2 number winners.

Mind you, my maths might be wrong.

And nobody is making anybody buy tickets, same as we don't force anyone into the pub or the bookies, I buy a ticket used the same numbers from day 1, the boss wanted to scrap the ticket when the price went up, but as I know the numbers I would know if "my" numbers come up, and I'm sure there's a lot like that, so I "have" to keep buying, but I don't really have to I want to buy one to have a chance of winning, it's only £2

I will not touch it with a barge pole. It's a government scamming its own people.
As Ray S says, I'll not be able to manage a lottery as I'd want everyone to win and be happy.
Look at it this way. If TEN of us live in a street and one person gets £25,000,000 while the rest NINE if us get £10. One or more of us will want to 'break' in his house and see if we can nick something. Come to think of it, he will not even notice. But it happens that the day we break in, he is at home. A fight ensures and someone gets stabbed or worse. Now, if got £3,000,000 and us £750,000, we wouldn't have been so desperate to 'visit' him

Charity or other "deserving causes" get some money out of each lottery draw,
Shops make a small profit,
People are employed to run the lottery (numerous - including advertising etc),
Government gets some percentage each ticket, I think, plus they benefit from all above. Very clever!
Vast majority tickets win nothing, some win small money but lose more eventually & the very lucky few win big - probably buy foreign goods, fall out with family & friends & spend their money abroad.
It's the stupid people who have little money & use their vital £2 or more on an almost no hope chance, that I feel sorry for.

Last edited:
Charity or other "deserving causes" get some money out of each lottery draw,
Shops make a small profit,
People are employed to run the lottery (numerous - including advertising etc),
Government gets some percentage each ticket, I think, plus they benefit from all above. Very clever!
Vast majority tickets win nothing, some win small money but lose more eventually & the very lucky few win big - probably buy foreign goods, fall out with family & friends & spend their money abroad.
It's the stupid people who have little money & use their vital £2 or more on an almost no hope chance, that I feel sorry for.

Thanks for your sympathy haha

Thanks for your sympathy haha

Lol! I am too tight (from scot decent) to waste £2 on the lottery, although if you're not in ye can't win, as we know!
Did take a stupid moment for Christmas & did the lottery once, - wouldn't it have been lovely even just to get a couple of grand at Christmas! But I was one of the millions of losers. :sad:
On same theme, - I did a job for a customer that said he was broke, then discovered him in a shop buying £20 scratch cards for himself. That's why I say it's the stupid poor people who really lose.

I'd be happy with £1million and chuffed to bits with £120 million, theres a few good customers out there Id give a free boiler for supporting me and being loyal over the last few years, many more who'd get the finger :) youd sort out the family, and in my case give a load away as spending millions is obscene unless your helping someone. As for holidays in the sun, I just go pink and burn so not for me, however I would take up fox chasing and maybe teach gasman how to offroad properly :)

If I won a million or more, I would make sure I claimed it as one of a family syndicate - because if you claim it all in your name then when you want to give large amounts to any your family, they would have to put it down as earnings.
I would give a lot to charity but wouldn't want anyone knowing I won the money if possible.
Just the pleasure of helping someone who really needs help would be worth it, rather than greedily keeping it all.

Often been tempted to send off a 3 number winning ticket to Lottery HQ in the hope that they will send me a cheque. I would then get the cheque either framed or enlarged into one of those big jackpot style winning things that people get their photos taken with.

the bit that actually boils my blood is those who go on National TV to announce their winnings. What normal thinking person will do a thin so daft?

If I were stuupid enough to play the lottery, and win millions, I will go in a disguise to collect it. I will keep such a low profile, no one would have a clue I have dough. Winning millions hehe. Talk of a good way to falling oit with your family (no amount you give them will be enough) and having every little crook in the neighborhood asking you for money or else???

Had the first four numbers on last nights Euromillions. The winning fifth number was 39, I had 38!
Oh well, 68 quid will just have to do instead of the 37.5k on offer for having five numbers.

Had the first four numbers on last nights Euromillions. The winning fifth number was 39, I had 38!
Oh well, 68 quid will just have to do instead of the 37.5k on offer for having five numbers.

Better than a poke in the eye buddy :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to The National Lottery in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

We run a community village hall and have a large kitchen provided for the use of hirers. This includes a Lincat SLR9 gas cooker which I believe is a 23.8Kw appliance with all six burners and oven on max. This was installed some 10 years ago and has passed all subsequent Gas Safety inspections as...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock