Discuss That's about as bad as I've seen.... in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

Guest123

Did you all see that pic of the bath waste that had been leaking for 7 years? It is in fact a cheap diy double bowl kit for a kitchen sink that has been used. The builder who fitted it even left the washing machine attachment piece and it's also running up hill!!

Work like that makes my blood boil. Yet another case of dodgy builder versus trained plumber.

Nothing that a roll of ptfe wouldn't sort out...:teeth_smile:

I know. I'm coming in from a different angle here.

If the poster's been quoted £70 for putting in a shallow bath trap to be connected to the waste I'm not sure what he's complaining about.

If the complaint is about the original oik who fitted the bath, fair enough, but it seems he's quite happy to have a go at anyone who wants to attempt a proper repair and he seems to think that £70 is an outrageous price.

It's not anyone else's fault that it's been leaking for 7 years. Perhaps he doesn't do the housework properly since when you get into those nooks and crannies? You smell damp or notice damp or other things that require attention when you bend down into corners.

Seems these days like most people like a house to be built and think there's never anything to do to it at all to keep it in good condition. They just expect stuff to last forever.

Nothing that a roll of ptfe wouldn't sort out...:teeth_smile:

I thought that too but didn't want to do a plumber out of a job. Slightly torn between trying to help the original poster and being angry at builder - not sure which side of the fence I stand on this one. Definitely not on the builder's side but not 100% for the poster either!

I know. I'm coming in from a different angle here.
If the complaint is about the original oik who fitted the bath, fair enough, but it seems he's quite happy to have a go at anyone who wants to attempt a proper repair and he seems to think that £70 is an outrageous price.
Totally agree mate. I told him how to fix it, what to buy for it and even where to buy it from.....and got ignored and a large dose of sarchasm about his bath panel being in bits.

Sometimes I wonder why I bother on here.

If whoever fitted it had used a multifit bend instead of trying to glue one onto the pvc washing machine bit they would probably have gotten away with it.
It is a disgrace of an attempt. I doubt it has been like that for 7 years as the bit connecting to the grating and the tee (the grey bits) are Frankie stuff. Can only remember seeing that particular kit in the last 2 or 3 years.
You would need to have no sense of smell not to notice something wasn't right long ago.

Yeah, it does look like a butchered Frankie trap. Probably left overs after he cocked up the kitchen sink too.

The Frankie traps are a bit of a pain and it's often easier to fit two Mc Alpines instead. Kitchen 4.jpg

Did you all see that pic of the bath waste that had been leaking for 7 years? It is in fact a cheap diy double bowl kit for a kitchen sink that has been used. The builder who fitted it even left the washing machine attachment piece and it's also running up hill!!

Work like that makes my blood boil. Yet another case of dodgy builder versus trained plumber.
that smacks of a diy attempt as tam said you must have no sense of smell to miss that one no way its been like that for 7 years

I have practically no sense of smell. Bad sinus's. Helps in this job.

Yeah, either a DIY job or a builder who really doesn't give a crap. So bad.

i refuse to fit that franke stuff even on a brand new install. it often leaks from the get go because the seals are plastic and not nice soft rubber. it looks to me like its made from recycled washing up bowls. i show the custard the seals from a franke trap and those from a mcalpine, always take my advice and upgrade when presented with the evidence

I wonder if the guy that did this, carried out any gas work on that property? That's a scary thought, probably used a washing machine hose (left over from his bath trap) to pipe up the gas supply.

If any of you gas guys went to a job like that bath trap and while there seen something very dangerous on a gas supply, would you report it even though you've not got anything to do with it? I know I would, espacially if there were young kids living next door.

If any of you gas guys went to a job like that bath trap and while there seen something very dangerous on a gas supply, would you report it even though you've not got anything to do with it? I know I would, espacially if there were young kids living next door.

yes. it is a requirement. if for example you are gsr and are walking through the lounge in a house enroute to the kitchen to swap a pair of taps and you noticed an old gas fire with blackened radiants, or piped up with a flexi or anything ridiculously unsafe you are supposed to act.

i refuse to fit that franke stuff even on a brand new install. it often leaks from the get go because the seals are plastic and not nice soft rubber. it looks to me like its made from recycled washing up bowls. i show the custard the seals from a franke trap and those from a mcalpine, always take my advice and upgrade when presented with the evidence

Totally agree, the McAlpine are easier to fit as well, there well worth the money

Mcalpine, unlike those cheaper imported copies is actually manufactured to withstand hot water temperatures exceeding the norm and the rubber seals last for years under normal usage.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to That's about as bad as I've seen.... in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hello all, I’m replacing a concrete paving slab patio in the back yard. The original patio used 50mm deep concrete slabs on hardcore & sand. I’m...
Replies
Views
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock