Search the forum,

Discuss Tds meter readings in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.

gassafe

Plumbers Arms member
Plumber
Gas Engineer
Saw on eBay Tds meters are going cheap on eBay, purchased one to look clever on jobs & out of interest as I like to see how clean my systems are eg after power flushing!

just had a quick play around, my mains water was about 165ppm bottled water from the Scottish highlands 135 ppm & water from my radiators was 330ppm

does anyone have one & are these readings the norm or what should I expect on a dirty system?

Just went and bought one too.

Mine also has an EC reading which apparently measures the conductivity of water, I'm guessing a higher reading in a sludged system would explain higher corrosion etc but will try it out & see how it works...

Anything nice & simple like this for measuring limescale content in water guy`s?

Mine are lower northumbrian water.
I got a pair. Tds & hardness.

Will we end up measuring , metal Ions ... Not healthy for humans but safe for radiators !

( Wondering what figures will get with HOT ,
sitting around in Cylinder munching on copper ions )

Last edited:
Give Fernox a call ask them what you should be getting, thought it had to be as close to tap water readings as you can get it maybe they do some sort of chart.

I thought it was 10% could just be making that up though. Have you got a link to these on eBay please?

on your cold over 200ppm and your boiler manufacturer will want scale protection like a magnetic or electrolytic. Above 300 you probably want to look at something that might work :)

your system should be within 10% of water main when flushing out, once chems are added it will probably go up.

I just ordered one aswell lol.

wonder how long it will last...cheap and Chinese.

Tds stands for totally dissolved solids, normally you would use these kind of meters to test for base metals in water supplies. don't be to alarmed to find higher readings in your central heating system.

Tds stands for totally dissolved solids, normally you would use these kind of meters to test for base metals in water supplies. don't be to alarmed to find higher readings in your central heating system.

Mine was here when i got back from work....my mains water is 230ppm and hot water is 330ppm. I have no idea if thats good or not though lol. Couldnt be bothered to bleed a rad into a cup to test that though.

A reading of 230ppm of Caco3 in your incoming water supply is about average for the UK. Some places where there is a high chalk concentrate in potable water such as Devon Brighton etc these readings can exceed 450ppm, and places where the ground water travels through harder rock formation like granite this can be as low as 70ppm I live in ***bria my Tds readings are usually below 100ppm.
The fact that your readings are higher when testing your hot water is probable due to a build up of Caco3 (scale) in your pipework and cylinder if fitted.

Normally only bother with TDS on steam systems to make sure you aren't getting buildups of stuff from the condensate. I suppose it's becoming more relevant now with modern boilers having such small waterways and the emphasis on pump performance etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Tds meter readings in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

I have had a look at previous posts and think I know the answer to this but just before I make it worse could I just check what you think about this one. Granddaughter just moved house and this valve decided to leak when it was closed. When open its fine. Normally I have repacked the gland on...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock