Search the forum,

Discuss Tap handle won't stay on in the UK Plumbing Forum | Plumbing Advice area at PlumbersForums.net

I’ve cleaned the grooves and tightened the grub screw at the bottom, but this tap handle (on the right of the photo) just won’t stay put. When turning the water off it either drops back or comes off. I suspect the problem may be with the screw, which doesn’t seem to move much.

How might I get hold of a new handle? I don’t know what this type of handle would be called to help me look for it on the web. The handle is 9cm from top to bottom, the screw takes a size 2 Allen key and the aperture on the handle seems to be 8mm. The other (hot) tap handle is fine.

tap.jpeg
tap lug.jpeg

With the handle off have you tried screwing the screw all the way through to both clean the thread and to prove the screw does go through far enough to bite onto the splines.?

I can't say I've seen it on taps but I have seen double grub screws, where you have to take the first one out, tighten the second then put the first one back in to lock it in position either done by the manufacturer or by others later.
You'll prove whether it is 2 screws by screwing one all the way through

Thanks. Looks like mine - but also looks like the TML one on Amazon which says its length is 5.5cm (mine’s longer). I see they also sell grub screws on their own...

Run a thread cutting tap through the grub screw hole to clean up the thread and re-cut it all the way through. If the grub screw is worn - replace it.
If necessary you can tap a larger hole and buy a grubscrew to match this new hole.

Reply to Tap handle won't stay on in the UK Plumbing Forum | Plumbing Advice area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi bit of a weird issue, I installed a grohe bathroom tap successfully 2 months ago bought from screwfix. Last week the right hand hot tap makes a squeak noise as I turn it on or off, left tap is 100% perfect and noiseless. This grohe tap is like one unit, so no screw notch or way I can remove...
Replies
Views
I have had a look at previous posts and think I know the answer to this but just before I make it worse could I just check what you think about this one. Granddaughter just moved house and this valve decided to leak when it was closed. When open its fine. Normally I have repacked the gland on...
Replies
Views
Hi all I'm hoping someone can shine a light on this for me Since our stop tap on the pavement has now been filled with sand for whatever reason, we are relying on our property fitted stopcock (this is outside on our garage wall) Unfortunately turning this to the closed position only reduces...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock