Discuss System Drain or No System Drain ? in the DIY Plumbing Forum area at PlumbersForums.net

Hello
I am replacing 2 radiators (in a lounge) for 2 radiators of different sizes and in different locations, so I will have a bit of plumbing to care of. I have a condensing boiler and gravity fed system (so HW tank in airing cupboard).

Q1 - I have one of these "drain down" avoidance kits (essentially 2 plug stoppers) and I wanted to know if these are likely to give me enough time to complete the pipework and get the new radiators connected, or should I bite the bullet and drain the CH system ?

Q2 - I will obviously have the CH turned off when I am doing the work (with or without draining the system), but am I right I don't need to turn off the HW too ? (I believe there is a coil within the HW tank that heats the HW in the tank and the boiler/pump can still function to heat the water).

Thanks for any help/advice.

I think you're trying to wing it. Those plugs are really only useful if you want to, say, fit a tvr in place of a normal rad valve. You'll have the weight of all the water in the upstairs rads pushing down on the system.... I'd turn off all upstairs rads - both sides but note how many turns of the lockshields so you can restore to the correct setting. Also don't risk having the h/w on - just turn the lot off and have peace if mind.

I think you're trying to wing it. Those plugs are really only useful if you want to, say, fit a tvr in place of a normal rad valve. You'll have the weight of all the water in the upstairs rads pushing down on the system.... I'd turn off all upstairs rads - both sides but note how many turns of the lockshields so you can restore to the correct setting. Also don't risk having the h/w on - just turn the lot off and have peace if mind.
Thank you for your reply which makes sense. I am thinking I will have to drain the system but to reduce the effort, I may close all the rads first (both sides) just t limit the amount I have to drain. Yes, I will turn off the HW.

Hello - How have you got on with your job?

Hello - How have you got on with your job?
Thanks, I managed to do the job. A bit stressful as there was one very tight corner with the f/r pipes emerging from the wall so I had very little room to get the pipes to line up with the rad (see photo) ...... had to have 2 elbows very close to an existing soldered elbow and close to each other on the end of a short piece coming out from wall. Fortunately, the solder did its job. 😉

Attachments

• pipes to longe rad.jpg
    pipes to longe rad.jpg
    371.6 KB · Views: 11

Reply to System Drain or No System Drain ? in the DIY Plumbing Forum area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4...
Replies
Views
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock