Currently reading:
Strange smell - can anyone help?

Discuss Strange smell - can anyone help? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
H

househelp1

I've just had work done in my flat (by builders) which involved replacing the sink in the kitchen amongst other things. When fitting the sink I think the wrong waste pipe was delivered and for a day the pipes werent connected. The smell was really bad - very sulpury/eggy - and I understand this may be gas direct from the sewer usually blocked by water in the u bend.

The sink is now apparently fixed but even though fixed yesterday, the smell last night was still quite strong despite the window being open and today on arrival home the real eggy smell has gone replaced by a sort of spent match smell, which I guess could also be described as sulphur like. It's a much less unpleasent smell, but still a smell and this is with the window open.

Is this something to be concerned about - surely the smell should have gone now the pipes are fixed?

Apart from bad aids or the flat needing demolition, does anyone have any ideas?

What work was done? Just the kitchen? Must admit the sulphur smell is puzzling me. Not trying to be funny but could a box of eggs have been broken (accidentally or on purpose) then hidden? Perhaps under the kitchen units?

did they do something stupid like leave a old washing machine outlet with a open end and its now discharged into the sink waste?

The kitchen was painted, a new work surface put in and the sink done. The smell is definitely related to the pipes I think. It was dreadful when the pipes werent fixed (eg not connected), better but noticable when the pipes were fixed and now this slightly different smell.

I dont know anything about plumbing at all, but the smell was how you would imaging a drain to be, but very strong. Last night it was there even though the window was open. The window has been open all day now and the unpleasent element of the smell has gone but this burnt match smell remains.

Have you used the sink? Has someone actually run water through the trap? (u bend)

They may have piped it up badly with a route still existing between sewer smells and the air or with too great a fall on pipework syphoning out trap water or any number of things.

The smells you mention are confusing but it's difficult for people to accurately describe a bad smell. A picture might help.

did they do something stupid like leave a old washing machine outlet with a open end and its now discharged into the sink waste?

I'm afraid i dont know due to lack of knowledge of plumbing. The pipes all appear to be connected to something. There's a washing machine next to the sink.

Have you used the sink? Has someone actually run water through the trap? (u bend)

They may have piped it up badly with a route still existing between sewer smells and the air or with too great a fall on pipework syphoning out trap water or any number of things.

The smells you mention are confusing but it's difficult for people to accurately describe a bad smell. A picture might help.

I'[ve used the sink just to run the water a bit and have poored some bleach down. I'll take a photo now.

How can you smell what's in a picture? Dead clever!!

I wonder if the sink overflow has been incorrectly plumbed in and is by-passing the u-bend?

Builders aren't plumbers so one never knows what might have gone on. The same would be said by builders when they saw a plumber like me trying to build a wall.

I think we should all go round and have a look. None of us have got anything better to do let's be honest. Between the 3 of us we'll sort it.

sink1.jpgsink2.jpgsink3.jpgsink4.jpg

Pooh! Yes! I see what you mean about the smell!!!

What's that black piece? Does water drip out of it?

Sorry for all the questions but it's a good challenge, this one. Was any other work done on the property or was it just in the kitchen?

washing machine is discharging before the trap,if theres any foul water in there that wont help

My guess would be that one of the traps is syphoning - perhaps the one on the right when the washing machine discharges?!

Fill the half bowl with water and leave over night. Will act like a trap above a trap. If the smell is gone the next morning it should pinpoint that trap/washing machine connection as the culprit.

My guess would be that one of the traps is syphoning - perhaps the one on the right when the washing machine discharges?!
very likely some washing machine outlets can stink and as its been disturbed i bet thats the cause/or adding to the problem

I havent used the washing machine yet. Other work was done on the bathroom and floors.

Dunno what the black piece is but no water drips out. I just ran the tap in the little right hand sink fast and water seems to drip from the right hand side u bend.

Hmm, that's the first time I noticed. On running water into the little sink, it is leaking underneath somewhere. Great. Is this the cause of the prob or ANOTHER prob?

In that case you either need to get the builders back (not recommended) or a get a plumber in. If it's leaking it needs attention regardless - get him to investigate smell while there.

I havent used the washing machine yet. Other work was done on the bathroom and floors.

Dunno what the black piece is but no water drips out. I just ran the tap in the little right hand sink fast and water seems to drip from the right hand side u bend.

That is most likely the problem then - if it's dripping it might not be holding enough water in the trap.

It looks - though i stress i have no expertise - like the water is coming out of the place where the u part screws onto the two pipes.

Last edited by a moderator:
you can check anything with a nut is tight by hand. but if you're not used to it you may make things worse of put pressure on something that's already weak.

I am not too keen to have a go myself. I was going to just tighten them myself but as you say. i dont want to make things worse. Could I just check so I definitely understand - one possible explanation for the smell is that the right hand ubend on the small sink is faulty in some way and not holding enough water?

It would have to leak a lot to let out a trap's worth of water. Hard to say.

I still think my idea of filling the half bowl, keeping the plug in a leaving overnight is a good one. If the smell goes it was almost certainly caused by the right hand trap and/or washing machine connection. If it's still eminating then it's coming from the other side or somewhere random.

Yes, it's not a traps worth, just dripping. I will fill the half bowl with plug also.

Thanks everyone.

Is there a condensate pipe connected to the drain from the central heating boiler? If the condensate trap is empty, that could explain it.

Fill both bowls to the top and let the water out on both, any leaks?

sometimes the condensate trap in the boiler can be syphoned out. Is it a condensing boiler? Has the boiler been used recently? If not, then the trap has not been replenished.

i don't know if it's just me but the pipe that goes into the top of the black connector looks like it is 32mm and the pipe at the bottom looks like 40mm

i dont have a boiler, just an immersion tank. No GCH, just elec.

Filled both sides, the right side leaks, cant see anything happening with the left.

Steve - not sure about the pipe.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Strange smell - can anyone help? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock