Discuss Stopping condensate waste freezing in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Easy way to stop freezing is fit a trace heating kit and lag up the pipework . Kop

Screenshot_20190121-053746_Chrome.jpg

There is a trap on the waste before it goes outside so the open tee wouldn't be a problem.
Wrong, the trap must be inside or immediately at boiler in order to be safe, condensate is considered as a flue so thats like saying the internal section of a flue does not matter until it gets outside. Rob Foster aka centralheatking

My condensate waste has only frozen up once and caused the boiler to switch off, this was on a particularly cold night. I thought of the following way of stopping the boiler switching off in the event of it freezing up again. The pipe drops out of the boiler vertically and then runs horizontally for about 900mm before it goes through the external wall into the drain. If I was to put a tee in the horizontal run with the branch set at 45 degrees and put a bucket under the tee on very cold nights. If the pipe should freeze up then the condensate would still be able to run out through the tee and the boiler shouldn't then switch off. Does anybody see any problems with this idea
Put an access plug on the tee?

polypipe-50-mm-black-screwed-access-plug-solvent-black_min_11865_P_1.jpg

To be frank, it sounds to me like an idea that can be described as 'stupid, but it works' and I'm quite impressed actually. If you're happy to manage the workaround and empty the bucket, I'm thinking go for it.

My only concern would be that, as the tee is internal, you would get blasts of cold air coming into the house via the tee and possibly drain smells also. Might be possible to put a running trap on the internal horizontal waste run after the tee to prevent these occurrences?

[EDIT - but if Rob Foster's right about the legality of the matter, then it might be better to wait until the gas installers have had their say before making a decision].

can you use this and get your 'engineer' to attache it on next service visit for £10, 20, 30, 1000 etc?
https://www.NoLinkingToThis/p/mcalpine-condensate-pipe-clamp/3101v
If the boiler has no internal trap then this component will not be safe in my opinion as it might vent naughty gas inside the building....which is what all the legislation is about oreventing. centralheatking

Reply to Stopping condensate waste freezing in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hello all, I’m replacing a concrete paving slab patio in the back yard. The original patio used 50mm deep concrete slabs on hardcore & sand. I’m...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4...
Replies
Views

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock