Discuss spillage test in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
B

bob the plumber

can someone just confirm to me on this.

when conducting one using a smoke bomb it must be to the correct BS standard and be a 30 sec burn with a smoke output of 5m3?

when conducting one using a smoke bomb it must be to the correct BS standard and be a 30 sec burn with a smoke output of 5m3?

Yes, BS 5440 part 1.

I thought that you used the smoke pellet for a flue flow test though, and a smoke match for the spillage test

.[/QUOTE]

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes, BS 5440 part 1.

I thought that you used the smoke pellet for a flue flow test though, and a smoke match for the spillage test

Eh....OK, I don't know what to say to that.

Does anyone else agree that a flue flow test should be done from below the heat exchanger to prove the flow through and not just from the draught diverter?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

For a flue flow test: The minimum to comply with regs is 5m³ smoke in 30s. I use the bigger pellets for unlined chimneys or flats.

Does anyone else agree that a flue flow test should be done from below the heat exchanger to prove the flow through and not just from the draught diverter?

Unless the MI's state differently I usually sit on top of H/E for an open flue boiler. The flue flow test is to confirm integrity of flue & termination.

Thats where I usually do them. Normally after removing the burner for cleaning.

I guess we all have our different quirks. End result is the same though.

I guess we all have our different quirks. End result is the same though.

How can you prove that the POC's on an openflue boiler are being evacuated correctly if the flow test is done in the DD?

How can you prove that the POC's on an openflue boiler are being evacuated correctly if the flow test is done in the DD?

with a spillage test,smoke will not always go trough a heat exchanger it depends on the design,smoke bombs can and do go trough a nest spillage testing is the ultimate test with the appliance running of course

I was taught to do it at the burner for flue flow an DD for spillage

Erm, maybe you should have read my post previous to that one??? The one where I said I usually carry out a flue flow test from within the combustion chamber after i remove the burner?

Last edited:
In any case, as already said, flue flow tests the integrity of the flue. Testing that the poc's are being pulled properly is the spillage test.

I thought spillage was done with a smoke match? Flue flow is a smoke bomb and check the loft space etc. Am I reading this wrong?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to spillage test in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock