Discuss Soldering for a DIY'er in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
If you are going ahead with doing some of the piping and soldering yourself, then do loads of practice soldering first. Don't practice on the real thing.
When I did my first soldered joint, it was watched over by a professional and I only got to start after I had watched perhaps thousands of joints in detail being prepared, assembled and soldered carefully.
I still have to use all the tricks of the trade I learnt to solder any solder joint in any situation - awkward or not. It's been a few decades of doing it and I still have to be careful. That why I fear a diyer soldering, as their skill is probably nil.

Thanks Best. Now I'm worried!
I wont have the privilege to watch a thousand joints but I've certainly seen tens of them on you tube. I will definitely run some practice joints first

Thanks Best. Now I'm worried!
I wont have the privilege to watch a thousand joints but I've certainly seen tens of them on you tube. I will definitely run some practice joints first

With respect, thats roughly akin to watching lots of p o r n and thinking it will make you a good lover.

I get the impression from your comments that you feel that software development is a very skilled job requiring highly skilled intelligent people and that plumbing is just joining pipes and anyone can do it. I am a gas safe heating engineer, plumber and Electrician, I also have a computer science degree and worked as a software developer for several years I know which industry I find more challenging and certainly more rewarding.

Hopefully the op gets the point you are all trying to put across

I'm closing the thread here because the potential to get abusive is fairly high.

Job 38.11

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Soldering for a DIY'er in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back