Discuss solar energy in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
M

m coyle

Has any one used thermodynamic solar system,and iif so what did you think of it.

I have the system installed and working in my house. I find it very good, it was very expensive to install although it is labelled SOLAR and works using the suns power to heat your water. It is closer to being an air source heat pump, whereas an air source heat pump has a fan and is a large box (normally Grey) the unit is a black panel weighing approximately 8kg and sits on a wall or roof. It could be sited on any wall whether facing any direction, it would work better on a east or south wall although the unit will work well in sunlight it works best when it is raining or at night. I live in Scotland the unit is placed on an east facing wall its running costs are comparable to a good freezer compressor running costs. Could work out as little as 15-20p per week (depends on which unit you go for) for a full tank of water (40 gallon) every day cant be bad. Not sure about maintenance though (could be expensive) because unit requires an 'F' gas (refrigerant) approved installer, an electrician as well as a plumber, possibly even a joiner definitely not a DIY job

waste of money, spend alittle on heating controls and insualtion and you will save alot more on your bills.

Not been impressed by a single TD system to date. We just don't have the climate. Look into ASHP instead, ok you won't get such a good COP when the suns blazing, but you will average better over the year without a doubt, simpler install also if you use a mono unit

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to solar energy in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back