Search the forum,

Discuss Silicone bath seal - big gaps? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
R

realstokebloke

I am re-sealing a (builder installed) bath.

It has some whacking gaps to the bottom of the tiles and so it will take far more silicone than is ideal (& using my referred BAL microban it will be £20 seal) so...

Is there a way to pack it out (a little) first with ano cheaper sealant - acrylic / mastic for eg - to provide a base for the silicone.

I don't want to adjust / ratchet the bath up on its stands for fear of disrupting the plumbing itself and getting something mechanical in there isn't really an option.

Cheaper silicone? Anyone use the Screwfix 'no-nonsense' one for eg?

Thanks.

Fill it in with grout if anything then silicone , silicone doesn't stick to silicone that well in my opinion

Fill it in with grout if anything then silicone , silicone doesn't stick to silicone that well in my opinion

OK.

albeit, I haven't a massive bag of grout for this job, so would some left over adhesive do the same?

Thanks.

how big are the gaps some adjustments to the bath will be okay if gaps aren't the width of the M62 .maybe isolate the water supply first if your unsure. would make a better looking job in the long run.

do it right and re seat the bath as it will always look and be sheite

i usually stick something like this all the way around , and stick it to the tiles with silacone , then seal top to the tiles and bottom to the bath , does a really tidy job and looks good! and you wont have to jack the bath up, but fill it with water and make sure thats is secure and screwd to the wall and floorhttp://www.travisperkins.co.uk/p/eurocell-window-trim-upvc-pencil-round-architrave-white-45mm-5m/657633/3893477

Builder took the easy way out and rode off into the sunset, I've just reduced the width of a bathroom by 25mm to get around this problem by double boarding it. UPVC is great for landlord type bathrooms though.

Personally I wouldn't seal it without giving the customer the option of having the bath re-fitted properly - re plumbed if necessary. That way if/when it leaks you're not getting it in the neck.

If just sealing, get them to sign a disclaimer that bath should have been re-fitted. Or at the very least write it down on the receipt.

how big are the gaps some adjustments to the bath will be okay if gaps aren't the width of the M62 .maybe isolate the water supply first if your unsure. would make a better looking job in the long run.

Agreed.

Would normally but this is (was) supposed to be a quick lick of paint to the skirting (then I took the side off, then...) so don't really want to re-install it plus, it all looks very 'builder installed' under there anyway re the pipe work, so this is an "if it ain't broke..." In my defence, I have levelled the bath (the non tap end needed lifting slightly) so the gap is at least uniformly 'generous' now :)

Builder took the easy way out and rode off into the sunset, I've just reduced the width of a bathroom by 25mm to get around this problem by double boarding it. UPVC is great for landlord type bathrooms though.

He did that.

Every single job I do on this house reveals what a complete bodge it was originally.

This one isn't a full refurbish (new suite, re-tile etc) and I know it's no excuse for ano bodge but I have to draw the line somewhere and it is before a 'rip the bath out' this time.

Hence my q about what, if any, packing to use before a silicone, thanks.

Would a mastic do? That said, do you still get 'mastic' as such and is it any cheaper than extra silicone?

Personally I wouldn't seal it without giving the customer the option of having the bath re-fitted properly - re plumbed if necessary. That way if/when it leaks you're not getting it in the neck.

If just sealing, get them to sign a disclaimer that bath should have been re-fitted. Or at the very least write it down on the receipt.

My bathroom actually, so I guess Mrs RSB is the customer here but defi Italy the right questions to pose (to whoever).

Ironically, our bath gets used once every six months so I could probably seal it with blue tack and no one would know (colour aside), so it will so as a make do while we save a little (a lot usually) to rip it all out and maybe even do a shower room instead.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Silicone bath seal - big gaps? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock