Discuss Second bathroom in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
O

OwenoWent

Hi Guys. I'm not sure if I'm posting this in the right place, so apologies if I've got it wrong.

I have a bit of a problem, and I am after some advise.

The background to my story is that 3 years ago me and my wife self built a dormer bungalow. We didn't have enough money to do both the downstairs and the dormer at the time, so we agreed with our architect to just complete the downstairs but to 'future-proof' the upstairs to easily take the 2 extra bedrooms and bathroom - as per the original plans on the property. Great - we finish building, move in and everything is fine. We are now in a position to slowly start work on the dormer of the property and we're running into a whole load of issues that I (foolishly and naïvely) assumed would be taken care of. As the list continues to grow, I've organised a meeting with the architect for Thursday, where I will ask him to explain him overlooking so many issues. I want to arm myself with all of the facts before the meeting.

Now, I know this is a plumbing forum, so will only bore you with the plumbing shortcomings.

A friend of mine suggested that I check that the original boiler fitted is suitable to take the additional rads and bathroom upstairs. A quick Googling of my Worcester Greenline 30Si Combi Mk IV states it is suitable for small to medium sized properties with 1 bathroom. Not ideal - especially as this will become our main shower. What does this actually mean in real terms? Does it mean I'm looking at having to fit an electric shower instead of a thermostatic one? And will the boiler have enough clout to power the additional rads. (It is currently heating the rads downstairs for 2 bedrooms, lounge, hall, utility and 2 towel rails. It's hot water duties are 1 thermostatic shower, 1 bath, 3 sinks)

Basically, I'm asking in your expert opinions whether this boiler is fit for purpose, when considering the expansion upstairs. I'm 'content' (if not happy) to have an electric shower upstairs, provided the boiler is capable to heat the upstairs, and provide hot water for a sink.

Sorry for for such a long message - I won't start on the lack of soil pipes *sigh*. I'd appreciate any advise.

Thanks again. Owen

Don't hold back Owen,

give us the full scope, we would love to be involved with the fight you are going to have with your architect.

Offload it all, we'll give all the advice you want

Where to start?!?

Some things are bigger than others and not all plumbing related.

Main gripe is no ridge vents fitted in the roof - despite the plans explicitly stating that they should have been. It's literally no extra effort to fit them from new, but a massive ball ache to retrofit them.

Same goes for soil pipes from upstairs to downstairs. I guess it will have always had to be run in the corner of a downstairs room and boxed in - but again, easier to do that from scratch than in hindsight.

Fusebox probably needs to be replaced to accommodate additional circuits - although my spark thinks he may be able to do something clever.

Other things too...I think it's probably my fault for being a bit naive and a bit too trusting of him. But when you've asked him to consider the future work and find things like this that are wrong, it's just a bit annoying.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Second bathroom in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock