Search the forum,

Discuss Roca boat valve in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.

nicro3

Plumbers Arms member
Plumber
Hi -Over the holiday had to replace boat valve on roca push button cistern, no shops open so used a bottom entry torbeck valve I had. Customer says whistling sound happens (not on every flush) Any ideas? or I will wait till suppliers are open and replace like for like.

Happy New Year

Nick

Hi -Over the holiday had to replace boat valve on roca push button cistern, no shops open so used a bottom entry torbeck valve I had. Customer says whistling sound happens (not on every flush) Any ideas? or I will wait till suppliers are open and replace like for like.

Happy New Year

Nick

This was your first mistake, Torbecks are the thing to fit if you like call backs. They are over sensitive peices of junk. I would first strip it down and see if there's a bit of dirt in it and that the restrictor is in (if it is remove it and see if it stops). Don't waste more than 10 minutes of your new years eve on it, if it won't mend -get rid.

This was on a boat? Was it moored or did you have to row to get there (at sea)? :phone:

Maybe the whistling was just the wind in the sails?

I have had problems with Torbeks in recent times, - noisier fill than older valves & thud sound on one when it shut off ( gravity supply! ). So I would say use Fluidmaster. I use brass tail version.

i would fit more than one restrictor in the torbeck valve Ive had the same problem and 2 restrictors solved the problem, im also a big fan of torbecks , i dont work for them but just like them hope this helps

Use to use torbecks but had problems so changed to fluidmaster and all is good.

I used to like Torbecks aswell, I liked them so much I stocked up on about 8 side entrys and 4 bottom entrys (got them quite cheap from corner diy store) but then the call backs started, one I remember went on and on (3-4 visits) cistern overfilling, Fluidmaster wouldn't fit - nightmare.

Anyone want to buy 12 new and sealed Torbecks? :bomb:

I used to like Torbecks aswell, I liked them so much I stocked up on about 8 side entrys and 4 bottom entrys (got them quite cheap from corner diy store) but then the call backs started, one I remember went on and on (3-4 visits) cistern overfilling, Fluidmaster wouldn't fit - nightmare.

Anyone want to buy 12 new and sealed Torbecks? :bomb:

I also have about 5 new Torbecks I had gradually bought, as I found them great, then stopped using them after I started to find they gave bother. Had to go to one 3 times & nothing will stop it making a thud. Fluidmaster seem to be trouble free, but won't fit in corner of some cisterns. The plastic tails are feeble, like a lot valves, so I use brass tailed Pro Fluidmasters.

I keep some lego bricks for when fluidmasters are too tight up against the side of a cistern.

the only torbeck I keep is this one

Torbeck-Side-Entry-Float-Valve_medium.jpg

Even though I know for a fact they can be unreliable. It's just that sometimes when nothing else on the planet seems to want to fit you can squeeze one of these fellas in. And then just take your pay cheque and say a little prayer.

I keep some lego bricks for when fluidmasters are too tight up against the side of a cistern.

the only torbeck I keep is this one

View attachment 4730

Even though I know for a fact they can be unreliable. It's just that sometimes when nothing else on the planet seems to want to fit you can squeeze one of these fellas in. And then just take your pay cheque and say a little prayer.

How do the Lego bricks help??

Probably as a plastic packer to stop the float getting jammed?

Yeah. If you put the valve in, tighten the backnut up and then lift the foat up and down and it doesn't move freely you can slip a lego brick just behind the head at the top and very often that will move it out enough. Overall, from the base, the angle has barely changed so I don't think it's under strain and I've done it loads without any callbacks.

Yeah. If you put the valve in, tighten the backnut up and then lift the foat up and down and it doesn't move freely you can slip a lego brick just behind the head at the top and very often that will move it out enough. Overall, from the base, the angle has barely changed so I don't think it's under strain and I've done it loads without any callbacks.

Nice little tip!

Must look at that! Does Lego block never fall away?
Some poor child is going to wonder why his Lego doesn't make as much as it used to though!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Roca boat valve in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi guys. I'm trying to identify a toilet model before ordering a seat for a customer. I went to what used to be a Roca stockist (they no longer are) and one of the guys there reckoned it might be "The Gap". I went to the new stockist and the guy there disagreed it was "The Gap" and that he'd...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock