Discuss RM Stainless Cylinder in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
A

ambert

Hi Guys, I installed my first stainless HW cylinder back in February all went fine customer was happy as they realised that a stainless cylinder would last longer than a copper. Had a call form him on Friday to say it was leaking. Went to investigate and found that it had failed around throat where it joins the main body of the cylinder. I've tried to fix it with Evo-Stik Plumber's Mait Quick Leak Repair Putty, which was useless the water just kept seeping out round the putty. I drained down the cylinder and isolated the supply. Now the customer has no stored HW. Any ideas how to fix these cylinders. Left a message with the manufacturer, will be contacting Plumb Center in the morning.

Should be within guarantee. No way forward for any repair. What size is it and where are you based, I have a month old RM sitting in my workshop which is up for grabs. PM me if you don't wish to share your info on the public forum.

Should be within guarantee. No way forward for any repair. What size is it and where are you based, I have a month old RM sitting in my workshop which is up for grabs. PM me if you don't wish to share your info on the public forum.
Never had to return anything to merchant before, hope it's a straight-forward swap, guess they'll have to order it.
It's a 900 x 450 120 litre direct. Thanks for the offer Reg man, I'm based in West Sussex, so sorry to say it's a bit unreasonable to go Norfolk. I'm pretty disappointed with it as I would think that a stainless cylinder would be stronger than a copper one.

and where was it from on the cylinder?

just re-read your post. you say from the throat where it joins the cylinder, is that at the top where the hot water comes out?

Last edited by a moderator:
How bad was the leak out of interest?
I couldn't see the split. water was seeping out when the water was cold, then when it was hot it started to spray a fine mist. Had isolate the cylinder as the gate valve on the supply was knackered as well. Deep joy!!!

and where was it from on the cylinder?

just re-read your post. you say from the throat where it joins the cylinder, is that at the top where the hot water comes out?
Yes that's right. It's not the fitting leaking though. Water can clearly be seen coming from the seam where the wide body narrows to form the connection.

Don't forget to charge them for your time ! its not your fault its leaking, All the manufactures give this old BS we will replace the part, But who pays for your time ? and who would have paid for any damage the leaking cylinder could have caused.

Don't forget to charge them for your time ! its not your fault its leaking, All the manufactures give this old BS we will replace the part, But who pays for your time ? and who would have paid for any damage the leaking cylinder could have caused.

you will probably be told to fudge off tbh. Its a reasonable request to cover lost time and any damages to the property but most manufacturer's couldnt give a monkeys and as for plumbs........... well.

If you speak to Ray Stafford he will tell you where you stand from a legal point of view and what would be the likely result of you asking the question.

you will probably be told to fudge off tbh. Its a reasonable request to cover lost time and any damages to the property but most manufacturer's couldnt give a monkeys and as for plumbs........... well.

If you speak to Ray Stafford he will tell you where you stand from a legal point of view and what would be the likely result of you asking the question.

In legal terms, you almost certainly don't have a leg to stand on. All merchants (including us) have terms and conditions of sale which include a "no consequential loss" clause. I can't imagine that Plumbs terms and conditions are less tight than ours!

However, in RM you are dealing with one of the best and most helpful manufacturers in the country - so long as they are asked nicely. RM is a privately owned firm, and do their manufacturing in the UK, so you are not dealing with a faceless corporation or an importer who has no interest in quality control.

In our experience, if the fault is genuine, and the labour claim is reasonable, they will look after you. We sell thousands of RM units every year, and have perhaps one problem every couple of months. However, if you scream and shout and stamp your feet, as like as not, the shutters will come down, and they will tell you where to get off. LIkewise if the cylinder shows signs that the fitting has been over-tightened with 36" stillies, then they won't be afraid to say so.

A lot depends on how the Plumb Centre manager handles it on your behalf. As I say, you are dependent on the goodwill of both PC and RM here.

Best of luck.

Wondered when would get round to the money side. Difficult situation. 10 year warranty and goosed within 12 months? Need a quiet word with the manufacturer, ask them to come and look asap. Gets the issue of an installation problem and then you get to play the 'not impressed, what can we sort out'.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to RM Stainless Cylinder in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock