Search the forum,

Discuss Removing modern tap caps? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
X

xanado

Hi All,

I'm attempting to remove the cap on the end of this tap. I've tried:
1. Looking for grub screws/key holes
2. Levering it off with a tiny screwdriver blade (0.5mm)
3. Using a strap wrench (although it was probably too big for the job)
4. WD-40
5. A cloth and a set of pliers

I don't know for definite who made the tap unit, but I think it might have been 'swift' - just from browsing through a screw fix catalogue that we may or may not have bought from. It's only about 15 months old.

Before I try #6 (hammer), can anyone tell me how it's secured (screw thread or cap?) and the best way of getting it off please?

Thanks very much.

image.jpg

image-1.jpg

try undoing one of the tap handles.......................... never seen one of these but hey ho

top either c or h unscrews (cap is only about 2-3mm thick)

either the top unscrews which looks most likley as im sure i can see the join in pics or one of the prongs unscres and theres a grub screw under neath

The handle may also be fixed from underneath the handle.
You may need a tool to undo the locking nut.

They could be 'tamper proof handles'

As Shaun and Steve said, the top caps unscrew. You can clearly see the join. There'll be a Phillips screw under the cap..

The handle may also be fixed from underneath the handle.
You may need a tool to undo the locking nut.

They could be 'tamper proof handles'
You mean the tool with the bent 90 degree lugs. All the cleaning agents would get in and seize the lock nut, you'd end up bending the lugs trying to get it undone.

Yes now take the screw out

Great stuff - thanks to all that have commented. snowhead - thanks for the photo, that helps.

So what's the best method to get the little cap off? I've tried brute hand strength (yes, lefty loosy...) and a strap wrench that is too big for the job (annoyingly). Shall I buy a smaller strap wrench or is there another tool for the job?

While I'm at it, any suggestions for a lube that will penetrate and loosen up the screw thread?

Thanks again all.

a pair of smooth grips or a strap wrench if you can get it on warning with the grips tho if your not careful it might mark the chrome

and none shouldnt be that tight

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Removing modern tap caps? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, basic question, any insight much appreciated. Looking to have an outdoor tap in my front porch fed from 15mm pex coming up from suspended floor. Pic 1 is inside porch, pex temporarily clipped to give an idea of pipe placement (ignore shoddy blockwork of booted cowboy builder!), Pic 2 is...
Replies
Views
Hi all I'm hoping someone can shine a light on this for me Since our stop tap on the pavement has now been filled with sand for whatever reason, we are relying on our property fitted stopcock (this is outside on our garage wall) Unfortunately turning this to the closed position only reduces...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock