Search the forum,

Discuss Radiators in series in the DIY Plumbing Forum area at PlumbersForums.net

Having already some aluminium radiators of a particular type I have decided to get more for another room. Problem is the output is not sufficient. The maximum output is 1800w 580mm high x 1200mm wide so would having 2 rads on the same wall look odd or not. I am thinking of having a pair of 580mm high x 800mm wide giving me the required 2400w. Additionally how would one plumb these in? In series with just a single TRV or parallel with both having a TRV, probably opposite ends?

1. If they are going side by side:
1a. Join them at the top with 2 x 1/2" x 22 mm (e.g. BES 17635), sealing the threaded connections with Flomasta Pipe Seal or the Loctite equivalent.
1b. Join at the bottom as at the top.
1c. Treat then as a single radiator, with TRV on one side and lock shield on the other.
2. If they are going to be a fair distance apart, install as two radiators in parallel.
3. If intending to join as in1. above, make sure the top inlets are 1/2" BSP threaded, and both are right hand (normal) threads. Some aluminium radiators have left hand threads on one side, and as far as I'm aware you can't get left hand threaded adaptors.
4. Also be aware that some designer radiators demand that flow and return be to specific sides.

The distance between will be I envisage around 600mm, though I can make less if needed for performance.
The rads do not have any preference for flow direction. They do have handed bushes 1 and quarter bsp
but all have usual 1/2 inch thread for valves etc.
Am a bit confused by you mentioning in 1a 1/2 inch and 22mm for the connections.

Sorry, I should have said to connect the radiators top and bottom with 22 mm copper pipe. Hence the need for 1/2" BSP into the radiator body and the 22 mm compression side.

Am with you now. Not sure how it would look with 22mm compression fittings on view, even if I painted them. I am assuming 15mm between the rads is not really big enough?

Worth considering on the looks front. Also what passed through my mind was to not have any compression fitting between the rads at all. As the rads have bushes with left and right hand threads I am sure I could just use male adapters ,as in attached photo, with a piece of copper pipe between them. As the rads are left and right thread it would then pull both rads together, a bit like the joining nipple on a cast iron rad. The only disadvantage of this is that both rads are in effect one rad from the offset and would need to be lifted on their brackets at the same time.

Attachments

• fitting.jpg
    fitting.jpg
    5.4 KB · Views: 4

Reply to Radiators in series in the DIY Plumbing Forum area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, basic question, any insight much appreciated. Looking to have an outdoor tap in my front porch fed from 15mm pex coming up from suspended floor. Pic 1 is inside porch, pex temporarily clipped to give an idea of pipe placement (ignore shoddy blockwork of booted cowboy builder!), Pic 2 is...
Replies
Views
Hi all I'm hoping someone can shine a light on this for me Since our stop tap on the pavement has now been filled with sand for whatever reason, we are relying on our property fitted stopcock (this is outside on our garage wall) Unfortunately turning this to the closed position only reduces...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock