Discuss Radiator tail problem. Any ideas? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
Morning all. I'm replacing lockshield valves with TRVs in some fairly old radiators. The radiators work fine but the tails on the TRVs - Drayton TRV 4s - can't be screwed fully into place with a spanner because the radiator sides are recessed and not flat. I can't use a socket set as the nut and olive on the tails get in the way so I was wondering if anyone has had the same problem and how you got past it. Many thanks for any helpful ideas!!

Take the valves back and swap em for the type that you have to screw in using a radiator allen key. Not sure what type they will be but the merchants should be able to point you in the right direction.

Dont find many of them sort for a TRV, infact I have never seen any, but I have never asked for any.
Why not remove the nut and olive?

As fuzzy has said. Tighten the valve onto the nut and then use the valve nut as the leaver for tightening the tail into the rad! Great way of removing tails too if you're having that problem :)

Take the nut and olive off the tail and use a long reach hex socket over the hexagon of the tail to screw into the rad. Make sure you buy TRVs which have a hex and not a square on the tails!

Last edited:
I think the OP means that you can't get the spanner on as part of the radiator gets in the way, hence my suggestion of using a long reach socket and ratchet (a bit like getting a spark plug out)

I think the OP means that you can't get the spanner on as part of the radiator gets in the way, hence my suggestion of using a long reach socket and ratchet (a bit like getting a spark plug out)
right i see

i have used a monument basin wrench for this before as it goes on long ways

You could get a rad valve extension, male-female 1/2'' extension in loads of different lengths, they are screwed in with the rad key

if it proves to much hassle i would buy an appropiate fiting, think about possible maintencance

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Radiator tail problem. Any ideas? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock