Discuss pumping dilema in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
F

fullyabsorbent

I live in a four story house. The hot water cylinder is in the basement (with the boiler) the cold water tank is in the attic. I have a bathroom in the attic with a mains fed gas-fired water heater (Main Mersey Super). Over the past year the mains pressure has become so low that the water heater will not work. Stuart Turner pumps require a feed from the HW cylinder and the cold water tank but running a pipe from the basement to the attic will create too much upheaval. Is there a pump which will allow me to branch off the existing hot and cold water supplies from our other bathroom one floor below the attic?

The only other (less preferable) alternative i can think of is using a pump on the coldwater tank directly to this or a new water heater - is this a possibility?

have you checked your stop cocks if they re fully open ,could be a lime scale build in water heater ??

No, the pump must be fed directly from the cylinder and the cold water cistern

No to your second suggestion - impractical even if it did happen to work OK

You need to fix the problem with your water heater or switch to an electric shower.

Would advise as SGI suggests

Stopcocks fully open and no limescale buildup as far as i can ascertain. Perhaps water pressure has dropped in street? Electric shower will not solve the problem of filling the bath or basin.

Why is the pump from CW tank idea impractical?

How much pressure is there at the shower in atick ,also check volum of water before you fo anything

would a pump set on the incoming main be impractical for space and cost wise?

My understanding is that you are not allowed to pump the mains supply

The only way you could pump the incoming main would be to install a break tank and pump from that... You are not allowed to pump from the main.

Yeah thats what i meant sorry, didnt explain myself very well.

have you had a meter installed?,ask local water board about mains pressure before you do anything.you may have a blockage before your stopcock,this could be due to work on local water mains in street.

i agree get your local water supplier to test water pressure and to check if there are any blockages

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to pumping dilema in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back