Users can remove all display ads (not sponsors) for a small fee. Click for info (must be logged in)

Discuss Pump neutral not connected?? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.

armyash

Esteemed
Plumber
Gas Engineer
Subscribed
Hi

After a nightmare with a Glow work last week I was back there today putting an RI in. Not switched on yet but ready to go pretty much. Best to leave until the morning in case of any other problems with the system.

On the GW boiler the pump live and switch live was connected but the neutral was not (cut and taped). Does anyone know off the top of their heads why this might be?  Is there a know reason that this might be done?

It's getting finished off tomorrow so will get it sorted but was hoping to get a head start.

Cheers

Last edited:
Have a look at the pump and see if it has a neutral connected, if it has, chances are they have picked it up from a nearby wiring centre and not needed the one from the boiler

Have a look at the pump and see if it has a neutral connected, if it has, chances are they have picked it up from a nearby wiring centre and not needed the one from the boiler

Hi, thanks for the reply.

I already looked at the pump and it's wired to the wiring center so what you say makes sense. So would I be right in assuming that it would do no harm to connect the neutral at the boiler anyway. (providing that is the pump neutral).

It only needs one neutral at the boiler unless the pump is wired in direct. If the pump is wired to the wiring centrer your boiler should have perm live, neutral, earth, switch live and pump live.

Never assume because it is a blue or black wire that the spare taped up wire is a neutral.

ash, you will find heat only's with their pumps wired three ways normally.

Permanently on
the pump wired in from the permanent live making the pump run all the time.

No pump overrun

the pump wired in with the switch live's from the zone valves but that doesn't give you pump over run.

Pump overrun
you will have a pump live from the heat only boiler that you take back to the wiring centre and then to the pump as its live to give pump overrun.

older boilers don't need pump overrun so you will find them wired in at the centre.
new boilers need it, or you get a series of very loud bangs !!!!

Basically neutral is neutral so can be obtained from any source that is switched by the fused spur for the entire heating system wiring. You only need to switch the live to make or break the signal as required. That is why you will see all the neutrals commoned together for various components, but multiple lives all being switched from the relevant source (ie stats, programmer, valves etc)

Last edited:
It only needs one neutral at the boiler unless the pump is wired in direct. If the pump is wired to the wiring centrer your boiler should have perm live, neutral, earth, switch live and pump live.

Tamz,

I don't know how you do it for the money!!

its quite normal to wire this way if the pump is closer to the wiring center than the boiler means you need less cores on the long run to the boiler

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Pump neutral not connected?? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock