Discuss Problem with flow rate upstairs only in the UK Plumbers Forums area at PlumbersForums.net

I checked the downstairs and its seems OK. The flow starts good and then drops but not to point it is not usable. In relation to upstairs and thinking about my previous comments it cannot be a blockage to the scale inhibitor as the flow starts good but then drops. If there was a blockage it would be consistently poor.

After the cylinder is reheated then the pressure in the EV will be ~ 3.8bar and when you open a hot tap then you will get ~ 3 to 4L of water (depending on cylinder&EV volume) before the pressure in the EV returns to 3.0 bar so if the initial flow only lasts for ~ 30 secs or so then this may account for this. Its strange though that the d/stairs hot flow is OK as all the HW comes from the unvented cylinder,
If all the u/stairs HW is via mixers then there might be a problem with one of them, is the d/stairs HW tap not from a mixer?.

Sounds like a filter is blocked / restricted need a g3 engineer

Sounds like a filter is blocked / restricted need a g3 engineer
I checked the downstairs again today. The hot does stop after a while. The cold is good - as off the mains.

So reviewing everything again. Flow into the house is good and downstairs cold is good. Upstairs cold is poor. The hot is good for 20 seconds and then stops. The cold feed upstairs goes into the cylinder.

I suspect, as you say, the filter or something else (balancing valve) is blocked/restricted. That probably restricts the flow rate into the cylinder. Hot is good for first 20 seconds as there is sufficient water (and thus pressure) in the cylinder to allow the flow to seem good for first 20 second but then the cylinder may not be filling up with cold (due to the poor flow) quickly enough to keep it flowing.

I've tried to find a g3 engineer but no luck so far. I will update again in due course.

Last edited:
I had a plumber replace the multibloc valve and it resolved the flow rate issue. Now the pressure upstairs is awesome! But I have now noticed that the waste discharge leaks outside.

The valve to the red expansion vessel seems to have gone up and is now higher than the red marker. I read some where before that when the multi bloc it could affect the red vessel if something is not done in the correct order.

Any thoughts would be welcomed. Thanks.

I had a plumber replace the multibloc valve and it resolved the flow rate issue. Now the pressure upstairs is awesome! But I have now noticed that the waste discharge leaks outside.

The valve to the red expansion vessel seems to have gone up and is now higher than the red marker. I read some where before that when the multi bloc it could affect the red vessel if something is not done in the correct order.

Any thoughts would be welcomed. Thanks.

That sounds like your heating expansion vessel how high is high should have numbers

That sounds like your heating expansion vessel how high is high should have numbers
The pressure was up to 3 bar. I checked again after your message and it was at 2 bar. Then I bled the radiators and it is now down to just over 1 bar. I will run the heating in the next few days and also check to see if water has stopped coming out of the discharge pipe. Thanks.

OK, so the readings on the heating gauge seem to be normal. I've havent used the heating for a while so I guess it goes up when the heating is running and then drops. This I guess is normal.

But the discharge pipe continues to leak water. Is this likely to be due to the multibloc that the gas engineer fitted?

It could be best to get him back to have a look

Reply to Problem with flow rate upstairs only in the UK Plumbers Forums area at PlumbersForums.net

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back