Discuss Problem with a water pump... in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

dns1

Hi guys,

The cold water storage tank in my flat is at a very low level, so there was a pump fitted when it was built to up the pressure on both the hot and cold supplies.

Had a bit of trouble with it recently as the pump stopped kicking in when the taps were turned on (unless I give it a bit of a whack!)

I've checked the pressure in the pressure vessel but it's registering zero. Tried to increase it using a footpump but it simply won't take any air. The valve seems to move freely, but when pressure is applied to the foot pump absolutely nothing happens, the pressure builds in the air-line but doesn't pass to the vessel.

The pump is a Stuart N42T from the late 80s.

Anyone know what could be up?

Cheers!

The pump will have failed, due to the previous failure of the Expansion vessel (pressure vessel) causing the pump to start / stop more frequently than it would normally do.
On a cold pump system the vessel acts as an accumulator to stop short cycling of the pump.

If the pump is 20 yrs old it's done well.

Possible replacement;
DAB Aquajet - Inox - Booster Pumps - Pump Type

Yes time to replace ! Hope you have deep pockets S/T whole house pumps are not cheep !

Thanks for the replies.

Seeing as the pump itself is still in good condition (still runs perfectly when it comes on) I was wondering if it's possible to simply replace the pressure vessel instead.

I've seen a couple online for only about £25...

The vessel needs changing anyway so try it first on its own and check the pump:)

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2

Getting somewhere with my pump...

Got the vessel taking air again but the valve was leaking slightly so I replaced that.

All seems ok, pump is starting and stopping when I use the taps, but it's coming on at random for a few seconds every now and then.

A little research has suggested this is usually down to a leak, causing the pressure to drop, so the pump starts to re-pressurise the system.

Now I know there's no water leak and I'm fairly sure there's no air leak. Anyone got any ideas for me?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Problem with a water pump... in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4...
Replies
Views
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock