Search the forum,

Discuss Pressure drops rapidly when off, rising high when on Glowworm combi in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
E

eggcoddler

Hello everyone,
Hopefully you could share your knowledge on this problem or any advice would be appreciated:

The pressure started to drop gradually over the past 2 weeks, but now drops from 1.5bar to 0.3 in 5-8hrs.
So I fill up (fillng loop) to 1.5bar to switch on the central heating and the heating is on all day (12-15hrs).
Switch off at bed time and the pressure bar shows 2.8.
By the morning, this is dropping to about 0.3-0.5.
I can't find any trace of leaks from any radiators.

The similar happened in Jan 2014, and a new expansion vessell and Interklean filter fitted in to the 10yr old Glowworm 24ci.

Lat year a Glowworm engineer re-built the 1/2 of boiler (including a new heat exchanger & diverter valve motor) due to another problem with the same boiler (tap water lukewarm when the heating system is off and heats up the nearest radiator).

I'm not sure why the same problem is re-occuring same time of the year...

:confused5:

10 year old gloworm combi, honestly its new boiler time which should eliminate your pressure

gloworms are built of plastic which pinholes and leaks everywhere, other parts fail and you end up with your problem. sometimes its cheaper in the long run to go and replace the boiler, something like and Intergas Rapid is a good option, less to break and leak over time

Lame is on the sell lol
Ive had an intergas in my own house for nearly 10 year but I would choose ideal for service and support

I agree but it is hard to get

need a good merchant and a sharp tongue for best support, but they have improved, the better techies are back with them again! and if you know who your talking too on the end of the phone, the results are a dam sight better than a non descript computer fed voice, who havent ever seen a boiler to work in most cases. Also having their mobile numbers is a bonus.

just another thought, once you have been on intergas boilers for a bit, you dont need to call them, they are so simple to work on even I can diagnose the problems :)

Last edited by a moderator:
I dont do a great deal of gas work maybe 30 + boilers per year, But I have found that Ideal do support installers better than most others

Hello everyone,
Hopefully you could share your knowledge on this problem or any advice would be appreciated:

The pressure started to drop gradually over the past 2 weeks, but now drops from 1.5bar to 0.3 in 5-8hrs.
So I fill up (fillng loop) to 1.5bar to switch on the central heating and the heating is on all day (12-15hrs).
Switch off at bed time and the pressure bar shows 2.8.
By the morning, this is dropping to about 0.3-0.5.
I can't find any trace of leaks from any radiators.

The similar happened in Jan 2014, and a new expansion vessell and Interklean filter fitted in to the 10yr old Glowworm 24ci.

Lat year a Glowworm engineer re-built the 1/2 of boiler (including a new heat exchanger & diverter valve motor) due to another problem with the same boiler (tap water lukewarm when the heating system is off and heats up the nearest radiator).

I'm not sure why the same problem is re-occuring same time of the year...

:confused5:

Is the expansion vessel external to the boiler?

Thanks for the comments, Quality. I was hoping I could get away for another year or two..
I suppose modern boiler is not to meant last 10 years...

I was hoping to replace with a new one and install in a different location during a new loft conversion, which may not start for another few months to be realistic.
I'm not sure which is more economical,
a) install a new boiler in the current location and relocate when the loft space / wall is ready.
b) pay nearly £300 to the engineer and get it repaired, then install a new boiler in a new location.
c) any other suggestions?
Thanks.

Hi Carlos,
I don't remember where the last plumber fitted in (such a big thing) but it's nowhere to be seen from outside of the boiler or not even under the floorboards when I checked. so could it be inside the boiler..?

Since Lame mentioned I've looked Integras; sounds like a superior boiler but a way out of my budget (over £1400 - £2k).

So Quality, I checked Ideals, a Logic+Combi boiler for 7 year warranty under £800 30kw.
Any pros and cons of this boiler?
You comment highly of Ideals 'support' but how about the boilers itself?
Thanks.

Every other websites comments highly of Valliant or Wocester Bosh?

how about getting a quote from an intergas installer on a boiler, your way off their prices , just shows how the internet can cost more than you pay from a good merchant :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Pressure drops rapidly when off, rising high when on Glowworm combi in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, basic question, any insight much appreciated. Looking to have an outdoor tap in my front porch fed from 15mm pex coming up from suspended floor. Pic 1 is inside porch, pex temporarily clipped to give an idea of pipe placement (ignore shoddy blockwork of booted cowboy builder!), Pic 2 is...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock