Discuss Powermax 155x flueing in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.

Robert Tyrrell

Gas Engineer
Two days ago I serviced a Powermax 155x and noticed that the installers have set up the flue in a way that doesn't comply with the MI. AS I was having my GSR inspection today, it was a pertinent subject and the inspector said that he would class it as AR.
[It] leaves the boiler vertically and enters the loft. All fine there. When you look in the loft, the flue exhaust travels horizontally to the gable wall and exits there but, the air intake travels for two thirds of the exhaust and, terminates inside the loft. This termination of the air intake only applies to a flue with a ridge terminal according to the MI.
I called the Baxi tech support line and all they said was that it can't be AR because it's been working fine for 10 years and, because I wanted them to put this in writing to cover my back, I have to email their tech dept.
Any thoughts?

pics would be better sorry but the boiler is gettting its supply air from the loft?

Never been a fan of those flues where it takes air from the loft space!! Was there a dedicated vent into the loft space?

Iv only seen this type of set up on a vertical flue, not one I'd choose to take an inspector too lol!

ShaunCorbs - the flue is indeed taking its air from the loft and, gassafe, I didn't really choose it, it's in my house and as the other customers weren't (even thought they'd agreed to be) available at the time of the inspection, I had to do something.
Thing is that one of the other boilers is exactly the same. Both fitted in 2005 and 'serviced' by BG for the last 10.
I'll try and get some pics on her but I can't promise as I don't remember how to.

Attachments

• photo_2.jpg
    photo_2.jpg
    51.9 KB · Views: 40
Last edited:
Seen loads with ridge tile set up, taking air from loft. Can't really see how would be much different set up like one you were at. Not quite exact as per MI's to the letter but as Baxi say been ok for all these years and if all tests are ok would just be making note of my findings.

Thanks GrahamM, the thing is that I did exactly that and the Gas Safe inspector, who was a very decent chap, said that as it's not to MI it should be labelled as an AR situation now. Until I get a written acceptance from Baxi that is. I just wondered what views any of you more experienced gas engineers might have.
I'm currently awaiting a response from Baxi :)

I have never understood this, as your pics say you can take the air intake from the loft if a ridge terminal, but not if it terminates outside??

I remember I rang Baxi about it the first time I saw it (was a ridge terminal) I though it looked dodgy, but they said it was ok.

As Graham said, in your instance I would just make a note of it, but I know it's different with an inspector behind you. I find flueing is one of the most debated topics amongst my work mates, what's ok, what's not.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Powermax 155x flueing in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4...
Replies
Views
We run a community village hall and have a large kitchen provided for the use of hirers. This includes a Lincat SLR9 gas cooker which I believe is...
Replies
Views
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock