Currently reading:
Potterton Promax 15HE Heat only boiler replacement

Discuss Potterton Promax 15HE Heat only boiler replacement in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
T

tranceporter

Hi,

I bought my house last july. Its a property built in 2005 and came with a Potterton Promax 15HE heat only boiler. The boiler had been previously serviced and maintained by British Gas. We switched suppliers when we bought the house so we do not have any "maintenance scheme" to speak of for the boiler.
2 months ago, the boiler stopped working. It would start intermittently and you could hear the water sloshing from heat exchanger, but the fan would not come on. The guy who tried to repair it tried replacing the pump and ignition PCB but that did not solve the issue. Every time he disconnected and reconnected the flow switch, the boiler would come alive. Then it would stay on for an hour or so before tripping again. Rinse repeat. So I got another guy to look at it, and he took voltage reading, changed the flow switch and topped up the gas pressure. The boiler worked fine for a month. Now we have a weird issue. If we request heat via the thermostat, it fires up, heats the house fine and shuts down. However if we request hot water, half the time it switches on but no ignition/fan, and at other times the ignition/fan come on, it ticks over for 30 minutes and switches off, even if the thermostat requests hot water for 2 hours (I have Salus IT500 thermostat).
The gas engineer who replaced the flow switch is suggesting that rather than replace part by part (the boiler works fine when he comes around to have a look, as usual :skep: ), we can get a new 24/26 kW heat only boiler for 600-70 quid and have it fitted.
So my question is, what heat only boiler of that size would you recommend? Here are my preferences:

1. I would prefer to have as easy a swap as possible from Potterton Promax 15HE. That way I will hopefully not have to pay for replacing the entire pipework and other bits. The gas engineer is recommending Ideal, Vaillant, Alpha, Baxi in that order.
2. The boiler is located in a cupboard in the kitchen. I would prefer the new boiler to be of similar size and not buy a floor standing variant please.
3. I had a read on the forum, and people do not seem to recommend Vaillant for heat only. So what would be recommend make and model taking the above point into consideration?
4. I am leaning towards buying the boiler online and having it fitted (unless you guys recommend me otherwise). However that means by gas engineer will not guarantee the product, understandably. So which manufacturers have relatively hassle-free after sales support?

Lastly, I have a 4 bed semi detached town house with 2 bathrooms with showers, and about 12 radiators.
And thank you for reading :) I must say I was quite impressed with the quality of information on this website.

Thanks that makes sense. So if j order the one you linked, then I should also order the valve since my system is sealed. Now it makes sense cheers.

you should already have the valve, like i have said before if you want to buy the stuff as your installer what he requires if hes good he will make/ write a list of what he requires

In that case ignore my pm mate. I think I should go to sleep. I have enough jargon for today lol. You have been fantastic help mate. I owe you one :)

In that case ignore my pm mate. I think I should go to sleep. I have enough jargon for today lol. You have been fantastic help mate. I owe you one :)

np and you will see my reply unless gas safe cant go into product detail too much

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Potterton Promax 15HE Heat only boiler replacement in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock