Currently reading:
Please help - Need advice

Discuss Please help - Need advice in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was wondering if someone can give me some advice as I really do not know what to do.

Last Wednesday, I hired a gas registered man to connect my hob from a standing bayonet fitting to a gas hob. During installation, the large burner on the left does not remain alight when not pressing down on ignition.

The gas man then said he will have to cut the pipe as it is not safe and it is illegal for him to leave it in. He told me that I should call the manufacturer as it is a brand new hob and that an engineer will be able to fix the problem.

I booked an engineer to come out this Wednesday and when he arrived, I was told that he is not able to fix the hob until the pipes are connected as he “does not do pipes” and that he is only here to fix the hob.

I then spoke to the gas man and he told me that it was “ID gas cut” and that he will not be able to do anything about it as is dangerous. So I spoke to customer service of the hob manufacturer company and she told me, he should have not cut the pipe but instead left the pipe where it was with an isolation tap.

My question is:

Who would be able to and is responsible for fixing this problem?

What do you recommend for me to do as you can see; I am in a situation where I am left with a non-working hob.

I would really appreciate if anyone can help as I have not been able to use a hob for a long time. I miss home cooked meals :(

Isolation valve is installed by gas man.

Last edited:
so thos who think the engineer was in the wrong would think its correct to leave an uncommissioned appliance connected?

have never done it, but from memory:

the appliance can be connected to the gas supply but isolated, then have and UNCOMMISIONED appliance sticker attached to it so that users are aware and know not to use the appliance, once commisioned and tested can be turned on and sticker removed

so thos who think the engineer was in the wrong would think its correct to leave an uncommissioned appliance connected?
didnt put iso in, they could have capped afta iso...they were trying to commision it and found prob, i would turn off at iso and label ar uncommissioned app on paper work with details of fault

manufacturer to blame, tell them to pull their finger out fix the appliance that is not fit for use at thier own expense or bill them. the gas guy made safe faulty appliance either way and you had to pay for it.

my un-commissioned appliance labels state "uncommissioned appliance, this appliance must only be connected by a gas safe register engineer". So without looking it up in the regs im guessing it must be disconnect untill commissioned.

the hobb is faulty, they send an engineer that cant connect it up but will not change it/fix it unless they can test it first?? what service. I would call them back and tell them you want a replacement not a repair.

they can dissconnect to put aother one in and test it if its got iso

what the service engineer is saying is he/she will not get involved in the installtion pipework, if they touch it then they have to tightness test etc..... which they are not going to do im guessing.

also what if its a solderd iso valve, he dont do pipes.

when I rang the gas man and told him what customer service said about the isolation tap. He laughed, not sure it was because he got caught out or if I said something really stupid. He said he would ring customer service for me and explain the situation but im still waiting for his response.

have had few problems with cookers/hob, I then disconnect appliance hob/cooker and get customer to return it to seller ! then they call me again to re fit and commission appliance .If you are in the north or north west of london you can always call me and i will help you out should you not wish to deal with your gas engineer

Can we argue with reg 26 bellow?
(5) No person carrying out the installation of a gas appliance shall leave it connected to the gas supply unless -
(a) the appliance can be used safely; or
(b) the appliance is sealed off from the gas supply with an appropriate fitting.

The guy was spot on. As far as he was concerned was not operating safely. He has done his bit as per the regs.
The Manufacturer/seller should supply new appliance in my opinion.

If it's a new hob & not staying lit, it'll be the safety device cutting it off, doing what it's suppose to do, therefore not dangerous.
The hob should have been left connected with an uncommissioned label & manufactures contacted to repair.
Or if it was dangerous, ID capped, then the engineer should have offered to return & reconnect on the manufactures visit, just good customer service.

yes i read the first post, and i agree that a isolation valve is needed. but iso or not you should not leave an uncommissioned appliance connected.

that would apply to every boiler fitted by illegal fitters aswell then so in affect theres 1000,s of uncommisioned appilances out there,it should be left on with a gas tap to isolate it and a sticker saying uncommisioned and the manafacture should replace it with a new one as its unsafe

have had few problems with cookers/hob, I then disconnect appliance hob/cooker and get customer to return it to seller ! then they call me again to re fit and commission appliance .If you are in the north or north west of london you can always call me and i will help you out should you not wish to deal with your gas engineer

I'm located south of the river - Brixton. I think it's a bit too far for you :(

I'm getting mixed oppinions and I'm really confused.

Is the gas man at fault for not putting an isolation valve in? Would it be better to hire someone else to fit it in if it's causing me this much trouble?

the bayonet fitting is a means of isolation, do regs require an additional one??

i thought that would be ok as long as the hob manufacturer allowed connection by way of bayonet hose (which isn't many)

obviously if it was required to be piped up rigid copper then a gas iso would need to be fitted.

correct me if i'm wrong......

I'm getting mixed oppinions and I'm really confused.

Is the gas man at fault for not putting an isolation valve in? Would it be better to hire someone else to fit it in if it's causing me this much trouble?

sorry we have confussed you, we do tend to go off and discuss/argue gas regs without being to helpful to the original poster sometimes. :)

your engineer was correct in disconnecting the appliance to comply with gas regulations, they require that a appliance is fully tested and verified (working correctly) to be able to leave it connected. So due to the fault he was not able to do this. (He would need to be able to run the burner that is faulty to make sure its working as the manufacture intended it too).

some may have the opinion that turning off the appliance at its isolation valve and leaving it connected was adequate, but this does go against the regualtions and in my opinion would not be wise. The engineer could leave himself open to problems if the appliance was turn on and used and it was in a dangerous state. So your engineer in my eyes did the right thing.

As for the isolation the appliance does require an isolator of some sort, if the engineer did not fit one then i would question why not? he may have removed it to disconnect the appliance? we can only guess and we would not want to slate him about this without seeing and knowing the full job, so its a question you really need to ask the engineer but one is required.

The problem you now have is the manufactures are idiots, you would be better off removing the hob and returning to the place of purchase for a replacement. If the original engineer is used to fit the new one then before any work is done question the isolation.... i would honestly be shocked if he did not intend to fit one, he seemed to on the ball regards the dissconnection so i would not pre judge him without asking the question first.

i hope this helps.

Last edited:
that would apply to every boiler fitted by illegal fitters aswell then so in affect theres 1000,s of uncommisioned appilances out there,it should be left on with a gas tap to isolate it and a sticker saying uncommisioned and the manafacture should replace it with a new one as its unsafe

i dont really understand your point? if a boiler has been fitted by an illegal gas fitter its illegal commissioned or uncommissioned?

the regs require you to verify an applaince is working correctly before leaving it connected to the gas supply, so why would you leave one connected if you have not tested and verified it? but your saying its ok to leave one that is unsafe connected aslong as you turn the isolator off??

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Please help - Need advice in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock