Currently reading:
Over 3 mins to get hot water in kitchen - is this normal?

Discuss Over 3 mins to get hot water in kitchen - is this normal? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
L

LCV

Hi,

My family have just moved back in from a house renovation just before the Easter bank holiday. When I turned on the tap in the kitchen to wash up and it takes over 3 mins before the water was hot enough to wash up. I had a large kitchen sink put in and I managed to fill that up with cold water which I had to then drain away to replace it with the hot water. It would have been faster (and used less water) if I had boiled the kettle for the hot water. I now wash my hands with cold water after I have used the toilet because it takes so long and as a family so much water is wasted while we wait for it to be hot enough to bathe and shower.

I feel concerned. Is this normal? Before the renovation I did not have to wait long to get hot water to all my taps.

We had a Vaillant system boiler with a 250L indirect hot water cylinder put in. The previous combi boiler was moved from the kitchen to the Utility room. The kitchen is at the front of the house while the Utility room is at the back of the house on the same floor. The previous house was over 3 floors with 2 bathrooms and a loft conversion has taken it to 4 floors and 3 bathrooms. We were told that we would have to wait up to a minute to get hot water in the loft which we said we were fine with but it is actually a lot longer than that and we certainly did not expect the rest of the house to be affected in this way.

I will go back to the plumber to discuss but wanted to get your views and advice first. I am really hoping the problem is to do with a setting on the boiler.

Thanks!

Last edited by a moderator:
Probably a crappy tap... Normally great flow on the cold but the hot comes out like jet in the centre of the spout on the ones I fit...

Could be lots and lots of things so instead of surmising why doesn't a decent plumber offer to go and take a look and do a survey for the poster
They are in London anyone from that area

I'm sure we are all waiting with baited breath for an answer from a decent plumber. This has gone from a pamphlet sized endeavour, to a novel, on to a saga and it's about to hit epic, cast of thousands territory!

I can't wait to actually find out what is wrong.

LCV Did they dig up your front garden and lay a nice new blue pipe in the ground?????

+1 any update op?

I do hope we get an update. We've often disappointed by the lack of feedback considering the free input we give.

I do hope the OP has this sorted and I do hope she comes back to tell us the resolution.

The op got in a plumber to take a look and the new plumber checked the flow rate at kitchen was 10 litres a min
Way way bellow what should be for unvented
He didn't check the line strainer at combination valve or what the incoming mains was
But was given a quote for a secondary return to be put in
At £22k
So to say they are no more forward than last time
If it gets sorted I'll let everyone now

And if there is any real plumbers about London let me know

Didn't check the strainer or CV? Oh dear. £22k for a secondary return? Lord help us!

Poor woman! I think I'm going to have to pop over, just to put an end to this thread if nothing else.

Poor woman! I think I'm going to have to pop over, just to put an end to this thread if nothing else.

plenty of pics please :)

Yes they are having a tough time through no fault of there own
They just listened to advice given to them by so called professionals

Id like to see what this install looks like

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Over 3 mins to get hot water in kitchen - is this normal? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock