Discuss No Pressure! in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
M

macdonald

My plumber has just finished installing a new bathroom, kitchen and 8 rads, and a combi boiler. The flat previously didnt have any heating and had an old fashioned heater and water tank. The water pressure was fine according to another plumber who turned on the tap. I also know that i could fill up a bucket in the bath pretty quickly.

Everything is finished but i have no water pressure. Not even enough to run the system less than one bar is showing on the boiler. The water from the taps is a lame pressure and flows slowly.

The flat is on the second floor but my neighbours arent having any problems, the system in the building is fine and Thames Water have visited and they dont know. Thames Water have installed 2 water metres.

My question is could my plumber have done something whilst installing a new heating system? Could he have used the wrong size copper pipes for example?

I am confused and he is now saying it will cost me more money for him to find a solution because his quote was to install everything and it is my/the flats fault/problem there's now no pressure. I find this rather lame. But i dont have any knowledge to be able to offer a suggestion/reason to why there's been a change.

If you have time please offer some advice.

First things first - find your water stop tap and make sure it's turned all the way open.

Did you notice the drop in pressure immediately after the installation of your new heating system and bathroom / kitchen?

Did this drop in pressure happen after the installation of the water meter in your flat?

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi Matt

Thanks for your reply.

Both water stop taps are open fully. It took 5 weeks for things to be installed so i was using the water from the stop tap, this had pressure even though it was connected to a metre then when everything was connected that's when i noticed their was no pressure.

My plumber is making noise saying it's that he has installed different taps, and the sink in the bathroom is in a different place. But it has changed from a gush to a slow pour so i know it cant be just down to this.

Do you think the water metres have altered the pressure?

any flexy tap connectors under sink ,have a look they could be kinked ? let us know

It sounds like a flow restriction has been introduced somewhere either by your plumber or the installation of the meter.

Do you get the low flow / pressure at every tap in your flat or is it only in certain areas?

Edit: By the way - the pressure shown on your combi boiler gauge isn't a true indication of your mains pressure - it shows the pressure of the heating circuit which is isolated from the incoming mains via the filling loop (which has valve(s) that are normally closed).

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes, every tap. Is it possible to find out where the flow is restricted? And is it reasonable for my plumber to charge me to find it? Shouldnt this be part of his quote?

I will check the flexy tap connectors, yeah 5 weeks, a one man team...

Thank you both for your advice.

ho ho ho :) well he should have surveyed property before hand and make a suggestion to you weather or not you can have a combi boiler ! If you have contacted him to fit combi and full ch system then is down to him to still make all necessary test to make suggestion ,but 5 weeks for ch and bathroom ...is it a large flat in Central London ?

In my opinion, it would not be reasonable for your plumber to leave you with minimal water flow after he has installed new hot and cold services in your flat - this of course assumes that it's something he's done and not as a result of your water meter installation. For the sake of good will, in his shoes I'd call in and have a quick check (especially after being paid for a five week job).

In the meantime, (although you shouldn't really have to) - working from the main stop tap, I'd try and trace the mains water through your flat (in any places you can see the pipework - kitchen cupboards etc) and try to make sure that any isolation valves that you find aren't partially closed. If every tap / outlet is affected it must be something between your incoming supply and the first branch. However don't start start randomly opening and closing valves if you aren't sure what they are for!

It could be something as simple as a defective stop tap, but that's really a plumbers job to test and sort out.

the water meter has been thoroughly checked and installed correctly? I had a call out to this exact problem and turned out the copper pipe had been inserted to far into the water meter.

ah, 5 weeks is along time, it might be 6 actually? I am not living there and he is not charging for the day... i did think he was a little unhurried. it is a large 3 bed flat...

I have found a new mains pipe that has never been connected into the flat before but is in my cupboard going to other flats, so my plumber wants to connect this up. But i feel this is not really solving the problem since the pressure was ok to start with. I wonder if it because of the water metres as well as what you have suggested. He also wants to charge £320 for this new connection.

I have taken everything on board, thank you so much Matt and SafeGasInstall. I will suggest everything tomorrow.

Thank you again, and if you think of anything else do shout.

Mia

well I do not know how much work is involve in this so can not discuss the £320.00 for the work ! hope all gets sorted and everyone will be happy round the x mass days :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to No Pressure! in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock