Discuss New Soil Stack in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
T

T & H Plumbing

Hi peeps

Just want some advice on how to go about changing a soil stack, the soil stack in question has a slight crack about 5ft up the customer has wrapped it in some sort of cloth stuff to reduce any smells or sewage leaks

She asked if I could cut away the offending piece and replace with new but I wasn't sure so I said I would price up the materials to replace but iI also noticed the soil stack isn't the required distance from an open window and wasnt high enough so advised her I'd need to extend it

Would it be wise to cut away the hole stack and replace with new plastic soil pipe?? If iI did this would i need to dig into the ground to connect to the gully underground or just buy a coller and connect just above ground? The soil stack is cast iron any thoughts would be helpful

I appreciate you are on here asking for advice, but to be honest if you need advice on how to do this I think it's out of your comfort zone and could all go pete tong, get someone to assist you with it who knows what they are doing, that way you earn less for the job (that type of job is a two man job anyway so should be priced accordingly) but more importantly you will see how to do it first hand and have someone there with you to make sure your customer isn't left with a horror story, you will get fantastic advice on here, but nothing beats hands on, but this isn't the type of job to do on your own never having done it before

Yep connect underground a coupling with a couple of mega jubilee clips above ground will look a little @rap to say the least

I appreciate its not something to try on your own first time but I used to fit downpipes n Gutters for a living it isn't that hard to fix a pipe to a wall straight, I got some ladders n a spirit level even got a drill I'll be fine fitting it just wondered what was best way to connect to underground sewage system, I've fitted soil stacks before but they was on new builds just a little different now there on a existing property

As long as its fine to dig the ground out n fix with a coller n jubilee clips like Townfanjon said then I'm fine doing the rest :)

Mcalpine do an adapter to go inside the cast iron if you cut it of at ground level to then either replace the leaking part or the whole lot, depends if she can afford it all to be changed.
Heard of renewed a stack and disturbed the pan connector inside the bathroom that was cemented on! Sometimes can open a can of worms.

Depends really on how it is all done & the condition. I removed a cast iron stack last year & my biggest concern was the danger to me of the heavy stack pieces - especially the top offset part, from it falling. The builder got scaffolding & with his help we cut cast pipe with angle grinder & took sections down starting with the heavy awkward offset bit.
I was lucky that the clay sewer bend was flush with an old concrete path. I drilled the mortar joint using a masonry bit (no hammer) to weaken it & clear the joint & was able to put new stack into it.
Maybe a good idea, if you have ground that won't matter breaking up & first take a look at condition of sewer. If easy, then might be best to renew the first bend & part of sewer. Consider using an air admittance valve to save the cost if a high vent & possibly unsightly look of it.

Last edited:
Looks like its just concrete around the base of the stack, I'll talk to the customer tomorrow, hopefully it will be a no problem job :)

Potential for Building Control to be involved £££££

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to New Soil Stack in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4...
Replies
Views
Hi all I'm hoping someone can shine a light on this for me Since our stop tap on the pavement has now been filled with sand for whatever reason...
Replies
Views
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock