Search the forum,

Discuss New central heating requirement for 2 zones? in the Plumbing Zone area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
R

rodders

Hi,

I heard someone metion the other day, that any new heating now requires 2 heating zones to be fully compliant of the Building Regs. One zone upstairs and one zone downstairs (if less than 100 meters sqaured, and more zones if over 100 meters squared). Is this right? Would it be the case if just the boiler has to be changed?

If it is, what if the customer is not willing to pay for the extra zone valves, room stats and programmer? Plus potentially extra pipework/fittings and labour?

Thanks

I believe thats correct, havn't read it fully but don't think it covers simple boiler change, but multiple items in the system, new boiler, controls and trvs then zoning would need to be concidered, if the customer dosn't want to pay to have the work done then don't do it, ie, 'you' when fitting your new boiler, to comply with building regs your system needs to be upgraded to a 2 zone system, 'cutomer' i'm not paying for that I don't need it! 'you' I'm can't fit your new boiler without doing it!

I believe thats correct, havn't read it fully but don't think it covers simple boiler change, but multiple items in the system, new boiler, controls and trvs then zoning would need to be concidered, if the customer dosn't want to pay to have the work done then don't do it, ie, 'you' when fitting your new boiler, to comply with building regs your system needs to be upgraded to a 2 zone system, 'cutomer' i'm not paying for that I don't need it! 'you' I'm can't fit your new boiler without doing it!

Then I imagine the customer calling another heating company who don't know/doesn't care - resulting in lost work for me!

Result! (not lol)

Buildings with a useable floor area of up to 150m squared need at least two separate heating zones with independent temperature control.

Buildings more than 150m need at least 2 zones with independent TIME and temperature controls.

Single storey open plan where the living area exceeds 70% of total area do not require zoning.

As I understand it if you are just replacing boiler you do not need to zone but if you are changing more components you should.

I bet not even half of new installs comply with these regs. If you are going to, say, to a conversion from open vented to combi you should be zoning but that is going to involve so much more work and cost to the customer.

It begs the question if you don't comply with these regs does building control have the authority to make you go back and put it to their standard and would they?

It begs the question if you don't comply with these regs does building control have the authority to make you go back and put it to their standard and would they?

That's what I'm thinking. Wonder if they do? And who would cover the cost?

You're right too... it's 150m sqaured not 100!

Thats the chance we all have to take!!
A - do it right at a cost!
B - do it cheapest way and secure more work, hope theres no come backs!!
C - cut your loses and leave it for someone else to worry about!

if you don't do it right, and you know it wont comply with building regs then it could bite you in the butt!! if they sell up in a couple of years you could be liable to put the job right at your cost!! (I belive - Sure someone will set me straight)

also if the customer has started about the price before you've quoted for the job you could be better off letting it go!!

I find once explained that this is due to new build regs etc. they usually come round!

I must look into this more.
I went on a Vaillant manufactures course this week and the instructor mentioned that floor space will soon not matter and all heating will have to be zoned ( He also mentioned that it has not been thought out correctly and in most cases its totally impracticable).

Watch this space for further changes.
Lets face it I think most engineers have heard something about it but it has not been very widely publicized?

Hi,

I heard someone metion the other day, that any new heating now requires 2 heating zones to be fully compliant of the Building Regs. One zone upstairs and one zone downstairs (if less than 100 meters sqaured, and more zones if over 100 meters squared). Is this right? Would it be the case if just the boiler has to be changed?

If it is, what if the customer is not willing to pay for the extra zone valves, room stats and programmer? Plus potentially extra pipework/fittings and labour?

Thanks
you need to give them 2 QUOTES , 1 without extra zone valves etc & 1 with all the trimmings. then let them decide what they want to pay for. F--K the building regs, surviving in business is more important.

Ye because we can all afford to turn away work. That's not gona happen

Its all about best advice.
You advise the customer of how and why it should be done and at what cost. They decide they don't want all the trimmings, get it signed in writing that your advice has been declined and fit the system.

Yeah sounds a good idea to give them two prices, but cover yourself and let them know building regs etc. Get it signed and install as they want.

Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to New central heating requirement for 2 zones? in the Plumbing Zone area at PlumbersForums.net

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock